Fitness Favorites Forums  

Go Back   Fitness Favorites Forums > HEALTH, FITNESS and WELLNESS > General Health

Unread February 5th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Just Signed Up

Default Can't seem to get rid of spare tire.

As I am approaching the big 50 it seems harder and harder to maintain a flat midsection. I am a avid exerciser and try to watch what I eat but, it does not seem to have the same look it did 5 years ago. Is this just grandma moving in or is there something I can do to change this problem?? Is there anyone else who has this problem and any suggestions as to solve this middle age mystery.
Unread February 5th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Just Signed Up

Default Re: Can't seem to get rid of spare tire.

I remember reading a post from someone much more knowledgeable than I that it has something to do with hormonal shifts before, during and after our menopausal years that causes us to be more "apple" shaped. With the redistribution of the fat towards our midsection comes an increase in susceptibility to heart disease. Sounds like we turn into men, doesn't it? I hope someone with more knowledge chimes in on this subject b/c I'm just going on fuzzy memory.
Unread February 9th, 2005, 04:43 AM
Getting Started

Thumbs up Re: Can't seem to get rid of spare tire.

Maintain the muscle you have got! Rebuild any that has been lost and nourish your body with good high quality food. (Lean protein and complex carbs.)

,If you improve these the digestive sytem will respond by working better for you and the thyroid gland will secrete more hormones and metabolism get revved!

Get rid of the sweet tooth! Watch your sodium intake and drink lots of water! Read lables that tell you the sodium intake and if it has MSG - did you know that most of the soups on the market except Heathy choice and Healthy request have MSG?

Resistance training (one pound of muscle burns 9x more cal. than a lb. of fat)and cardio ( some form) walking is great with a "hot" pace! Make sure to eat several small meals a day and keep moving - rev that metalbolism! Hot spicy food are good for this too.

Accept what God gave you and age with respect to your body - set realistic goal for you - everyone is different

Hope this helps
Tamela
Unread February 9th, 2005, 06:15 AM
My glasses are a bit to pricey to risk getting them broken.

Default Re: Can't seem to get rid of spare tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamela

Accept what God gave you and age with respect to your body - set realistic goal for you - everyone is different

Tamela
Oh, Tamela, that is so true! Setting realistic goals and doing the best we can with what we have is soooo important to our physical and emotional well-being. And at 57, I'm definitely speaking from experience here.