Fitness Favorites Forums  

Go Back   Fitness Favorites Forums > HEALTH, FITNESS and WELLNESS > General Health

Unread June 17th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Just Signed Up

Question Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle

Has anyone read this? Is it worth the $? Is there really anything new here? Does he address "old" fat, as in when you are older and menepausal (peri-, post-, etc). What does he prescribe for fat loss...food composition percentages...40/30/30 or something like that? What did you like/not like about this book? Would you reccommend buying it? Thank you!
Unread June 17th, 2005, 06:05 AM
WHFN Infomercial Star!

Default Re: Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle

I bought it a year ago and I thought it was good. He just cuts through all of the **** that's our there. He does say in the beginning that if you are expecting to hear some "miracle" solution, a way to lose alot of weight in a week, then don't bother reading the book. He says that if you want to see changes, you have to work hard. He definitely doesn't sugar coat anything which is why I liked it. The very first chapter is all about goal setting which is so important. He also talks about endo/ecto/mesomorph body types and really does a good job helping to taylor things to you individually. He tells you how to figure out how many calories you should be eating to maintain/lose weight/fat. I find myself going back to it alot.

He doesn't recommend one set ratio of carbs/protein/fat. He basically helps you to figure ou which ratio would ultimately be good for you.
Unread June 17th, 2005, 06:11 AM
WHFN Infomercial Star!

Here's the table of contents:
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Medical Disclaimer

Preface

Introduction

Chapter 1: Goal setting: How to set powerful, compelling goals that will propel you forward and charge you up with unstoppable motivation

Chapter 2: Chapter 2: Why 95% of all conventional diets fail - And the 8 most powerful strategies to permanently lose fat without diets or deprivation

Chapter 3: Body composition: How to determine your fat to muscle ratio

Chapter 4: Charting your progress: How to use performance feedback to get from where you are to where you want to be

[font=OIMCEH+Arial,Bold,Arial][left]Chapter 5: Metabolic individuality and your body type: Doing your best with what you
Unread June 17th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Just Signed Up

Thank you, Stacy. Please indulge me a couple of more questions...

Does he promote the 5-6 little meals a day? or are 3 squares ok?
Does he help you find your optimum macro nutrients by some tables, personal goals or preferences, or current body composition?
Thank you.
Unread June 18th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Patience? What is this patience that you speak of? LOL

Thanks Stacy!

There is a lot of talk of this program on some of the Firm lists out there. I'm hearing that the program is very good, seeing the table of contents rally helps, I'll have to go back to his website and reconsider buying it, well, and doing it (I'm lacking in food discipline )
Unread June 20th, 2005, 02:41 AM
WHFN Infomercial Star!

He does promote eating smaller meals throughout the day. And as far as macronutrients, here's a little blurb from the macronutrient chapter:

"No single ratio is "the best" and no single ratio will work for everyone 100% of the time. Many dieters are tempted to believe that there is one perfect or "magical" ratio that will be the answer to all their body fat problems. Contrary to what some "diet gurus" would like you to believe, there is no single best ratio.
  • No ratio has any "magical" fat-burning or muscle-building properties.
  • No ratio will override the law of calorie balance. Any impact nutrient ratios have on your body fat level is minimal compared to the effect that calorie levels have on body composition.
  • No nutrient ratio will prevent you from going into starvation mode if your calories are too low.
  • No nutrient ratio will prevent you from accumulating body fat if your calories are too high.
  • No nutrient ratio will allow you to gain muscle if your calories are too low.
  • No single nutrient ratio will work for everyone. Optimal nutrient ratios depend on goals and differences in body types and carbohydrate sensitivity.
Calories are always the most important factor in fat loss and the first factor you should consider. Only then can you accurately calculate the optimal ratios of protein, carbohydrate and fat specifically for your unique needs.

Any program that suggests only one ratio for everyone is completely ignoring the concept of nutritional individuality. Clearly, your ratios must be customized, but as you will learn shortly, there is a sensible place where everyone can start."

I like that it's not a "one size fits all" program. He teaches you how to figure out your calorie needs, your macronutrient needs and how much cardio you should be doing. I think it's a great, no-nonsense book.
Unread June 20th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Just Signed Up

It does sound very good. I liked what he said in this blurb and it makes sense to me. Thank you for the responses. I also like the idea that he teaches you how to create your own ratios and customize as you progress or goals change. Sounds very interesting and doable. Thanks again.
Unread April 16th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Just Signed Up

Excellent stuff you shared. I really appreciate you on sharing such useful book. Yet I have not avail this amazing book. I'm love getting more and more ideas on health and nutrition. This must be helpful for me in gathering knowledge.

Lakewood personal trainer

Last edited by Watosn; April 26th, 2013 at 05:43 PM.