Fitness Favorites Forums  

Go Back   Fitness Favorites Forums > HEALTH, FITNESS and WELLNESS > General Health

Unread August 20th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Getting Started

Default outsmarting the midlife fat cell by debra waterhouse

Has anyone here followed the weight loss strategy in this book? The author recommends 4 60 minute cardio session per week plus weight training. I hate cardio!!! Can the 60 minutes seesion be split up? What about walking for 30 minutes in the morning and then doing an AWT at night for 45-50 minutes? Thanks.
Unread August 20th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Default Re: outsmarting the midlife fat cell by debra waterhouse

I haven't read the book but I am pretty sure as long as you get some type of cardio, that is fine. Some people can do up to 60 minutes of cardio or if time permits an hour or so. There are days when AWT could take place of both strength/cardio. There is also interval training that counts as cardio too.
Unread August 22nd, 2007, 02:00 PM
Patience? What is this patience that you speak of? LOL

Cardio doesn't have to be "cardio" I'm sure using FitPrimes with lighter weights (if you want) and work at an aerobic level that is cardio. I'm also pretty sure that 45 minutes 4 limb movement works as well, if not better, than 60 minutes of pure cardio
Unread August 24th, 2007, 10:35 PM
In Training

Send a message via AIM to peggylive

Ahh, a topic that is near and dear to me as I approach my 50th birthday next April!! Since my bunion surgery this past April I've done mostly AWT. When I began to exercise again, I figured there was no way I could run or bike at a high enough intensity to burn fat so I started out with Fitprimes and old Firm VHS tapes. The strategy worked and I lost 11 lbs by doing a combo of LC dieting and exercise. This past week, I found, to my surprise, that I could run and rollerblade with no problem whatsoever. I have found that the 4 limb cardio found in videos like "Firm Hare" and "Fast Cheetah" work quite well on cardio days.

Now that road race season is approaching, I'm trying to find a way to successfully combine AWT workouts with a running schedule. Any suggestions?
Oh, I wanted to add that I have recently discovered "Functional Fitness" training and have found it to be a good cardio workout. I take a class at my Y but I have noticed that many of you also do the TLT videos. Which ones would you recommend for purchase (if not all of them) as I'm trying to prepare for an upcoming CT winter. Thanks!!
Patty
Unread August 26th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Administrator

Hi Patty, glad you are up and running again! I have all the TLT's but the one I like is with Susan Harris, "Finding Your Core." The other one I enjoy even though it has some weird moves in it is, Jennifer Carmen, "Strengthen in Movement." FYC reminds me alot of Cathe's Push/Pull and Supersets. Another good 4 limb is Firm Cardio and Strenghten with Heidi and Pam. Those are awesome. I did Firm Parts, Standing Legs. I killer workout. Gets me everytime. Annette
Unread August 26th, 2007, 04:48 AM
In Training

Send a message via AIM to peggylive

Hi Annette,
Are those Firm cardio and strengthen DVD's the same ones that were once called Strongbody and Strongheart? If so, I have them on VHS and really like them as well. Those followed the Tortoise and Hare series and were lead by Heidi and Pam.
"Finding Your Core" with Susan Harris was the DVD I thought of starting my TLT collection with.
I have also been rollerblading of late. I've had rollerblades for about 10 years but don't often use them since the hills in my neighborhood are very steep. But now there is a walking/biking/skating trail open near my home that I can skate on.
Dh is teaching ds to ride his bike there. I am still doing the rotation calendar you sent me a few weeks ago. I have had to modify it a bit to allow for *** weather and long runs but it works so well!!
Unread August 27th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Firm Cardio/Strengthen are the one and the same as Strong Body/Heart. Those are awesome! Another one I enjoy is Maximum Body (Tracie) and Total Body Sculpting (Firm Parts). Rollerblading, wow, you are awesome. I can barely walk.