Fitness Favorites Forums  

Go Back   Fitness Favorites Forums > HEALTH, FITNESS and WELLNESS > General Health

Unread March 2nd, 2005, 11:59 AM
Just Signed Up

Default Overweight Underhealthy Need Help!

Hi, My name is Sarah. I am almost 44 years old. I am about 50 pounds overweight (5'5" and 170 pounds). I am terribly out-of-shape--nearly 40% body fat!!!!

Do I sound pathetic enough??? ;-)

Ahhhh...back in the olden days, in the 1980s I was a Firmie. Yep. I weighed about 120 pounds and a lot of it was muscle. I wore a size 4.

Fast forward to now. I went to a Weight Watchers meeting last week because I am desperate to gain back my healthy, slender self. I only paid for one meeting. The meeting was less-than-inspiring. However, I could try various leaders, etc.

It would cost over $100 for three months of meetings. I began to think...hmmm...I could do other things with that money. I remember The Firm. I loved those tapes and practically wore them out.

I checked out "The Firm" and found the new Firm videos first. They just didn't sound like they had the same "feel" as the old Firms. I decided to continue my Internet web search. Lo and behold, I found THIS site!

Maybe I should spend my money on these new tapes? Maybe I am crazy and need to go to Weight Watchers?

If you were this old and this fat and this out-of-shape, what would you do?

Thank you already to everyone.

Sarah
Unread March 2nd, 2005, 12:07 PM
A work in progress

Default Re: Overweight Underhealthy Need Help!

I would do both. Buy these videos and join WW. I've been there..done that..used to weigh 250!!!pounds. I'm within 30-35 pounds of my goal now. You CAN do it sweetie. That's what we're here for....PM me if you'd like to...Janice
Unread March 2nd, 2005, 12:10 PM
WHFN Infomercial Star!

I would definitely get these workouts AND check in here everyday for motivation and inspiration! I would also suggest easing slowly into a routine. I sometimes think people have a tendancy to pile on too many changes at once. Perhaps you can workout 3x per week and then increase it when you feel ready. Take a look at what you are eating and see what changes you feel comfortable with making there.

This forum is absolutely wonderful at keeping people motivated and inspired. I don't know what I'd do without it! Ask any questions because you will get lots of answers -- everyone here is lovely!!
Unread March 2nd, 2005, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Hi, Sarah, and welcome! Think of this as a fresh start. You are NOT a failure (I sense that you feel that way from your post). You ARE a SUCCESS. I'll be reading about YOU a few months from now on how well you are doing. Stick around, we've got tons of support to offer here!

"Fitness is a journey, not a destination."
Unread March 2nd, 2005, 01:18 PM
The music is like ****ah.

Quote:

I checked out "The Firm" and found the new Firm videos first. They just didn't sound like they had the same "feel" as the old Firms.
No, they are not like the old Firms. Even though they are different, I like them, but some people don't.

I think the WHFNs will be more like the old Firms than anything else on the market today. Have you checked out the clips?

Miss Sarah, you sound a little overwhelmed to me. Don't think because you are 44 and not fit, that it's hopeless. I didn't start getting into fitness until I was 40 (I'm 57 now). I can't believe the changes I made; I've reached all my goals and even surpassed a few.

You can do it, and this is just the place you need to start. WW is a good idea and exercise videos are also. Give yourself some credit for being on the right track, GF.
Unread March 2nd, 2005, 01:53 PM
My Booty is Hurtin!

Welcome!!!
Like you, many of us miss the feel of the old Firms. I think you will like Fitprime and you will find allot of women just like you here-busy women with jobs, households, etc and a desire to stay fit!! Check out the clips if you haven't yet. Keep in touch-and we are glad you found this site.
Unread March 2nd, 2005, 02:19 PM
Rebounder Extraordinaire!

Welcome, Sarah!

So glad you found us! You will love it here! I think you can reach your goal working out... using the FP's! They are wonderful. Exercise and eat clean....that's the key!
Unread March 2nd, 2005, 02:34 PM
Ya right! And a pint of ice cream serves 4!

Hi Sarah! I just wanted to welcome you and congratulate you on wanting to change your lifestyle. I truly believe that is the first step! There are some incredibly inspiring and motivating ladies on this forum. As far as your age, 44 is NOT old by any means! I think the new FP workouts may be just what you are looking for! I wish you much success and I know you'll be back to your Firm self in no time!
Unread March 2nd, 2005, 02:39 PM
Just Signed Up

Everyone is so kind! I am feeling more confident already.

Vanessa, what do you mean when you say to "eat clean?" I admit that I am a bit clueless about all of the healthy lingo. I'm assuming eating clean is more than washing my hands before meals!

Should I eat more often each day? Low carb? Low fat? Low calorie?

My head is spinning not knowing who to ask and who to trust--seems "experts" disagree with this. Even Weight Watchers has two diet choices now.

How much time will I need to devote to "health" each day. Yes, I know I'm worth it but as a teacher/homemaker/homeschooling mother, I need to know!

I am soooo anxious to be one of the ones GIVING advice instead of the one needing advice!!! And when I AM one of the advice-givers, I hope I am as kind as each of you has been.

Sarah
Unread March 2nd, 2005, 03:22 PM
My Booty is Hurtin!

Sarah-for most of us, eating clean means cutting out sugars and over processed food.
It is hard to make a decision, I know. You may need to do some research on what is easiest for you. I could not maintain Adkins, but do well on phase 2 of the South Beach Diet(phase 1 is too much like Adkins for me). The main thing is to get lean protein and healthy natural carbs along with sources of "good" fats. And yes, it is possible to fit in small meals, trust me. I work at an elementary school as a diagnostiician(kind of like a school pyschologist in some states) and with planning, I can get in two small snack during the work day. Keep posting those questions. There are allot of knowledgable folks around here!!!