Fitness Favorites Forums  

Go Back   Fitness Favorites Forums > EXERCISE > General Fitness

Unread August 16th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Teach children good eating habits.

Default How to exercise with bad back

I am so frustrated. My lower back is healing, but much too slowly. I've been to the chiropractor but I hate getting weaker and weaker. What can I do while I recover? I walk everyday. I try to very carefully do upper body work with weights. I tried doing a couple of siimple Pilates roll ups but couldn't because it pulls on my lower back when I curl over like that. My abs are getting weaker, whick is bad for my back, but I can't strengthen them either. Catch 22!
Unread August 16th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Living proof that the internet is a wonderful way to bump into a soul mate.

Send a message via MSN to AspenUSMC
Default Re: How to exercise with bad back

I have a herniated disk in my lower lumbar spine that severely limits my ability to put my all into a workout.

I focus on ab work and core strengthening to help my back carry less of the load. I am also working hard on diet and finding cardio that I can do to get my weight as low as possible...again to take burden off my back.

Now...PLEASE don't take anything I suggest as something you should do without talkign to your doctor. Backs are tricky things, and we have to be careful with them. I'm not qualified to dispense any advice. I'll just tell you what I'm doing.

1.) I use the FitPrime series of 6 dvd's from WHFN. I modify ANYTHING that has me reach up with weights in my hands, twist my torso, leg press with weights (I do it on a shorter step...no weights), or jumping/running/impact. I have found it VERY easy to make these modifications to the FitPrimes, and it keeps me from becoming too sedentary.

2.) I use a recumbent bicycle at my physical therapist's office. Most gyms have these, or you could buy one from ebay. This allows me to really get my heart going with no impact on my back.

3.) Ice your back directly after a workout. This prevents inflammation and angry muscles.

4.) Core...Core...Core. Do independent ab work (I do a lot of ab work on a balance ball), Pilates poses, or any preferred core workout. The stronger you make your core, the faster your back will heal.

I sympathize with your plight. I'm in the same boat.

~Martha Graham
Unread August 24th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Getting Started

I recently injured my lower back (where the hip meets the tailbone). I would suggest physical therapy. I cannot stress how much it has helped me. They will lead you through a series of progressively harder exercises to help your condition and get you back on track.

Debbie
Unread August 30th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Teach children good eating habits.

If you can't lift weights overhead, how do you work your shoulders? Pushups instead?