Fitness Favorites Forums  

Go Back   Fitness Favorites Forums > EXERCISE > Workout Tips

Unread February 4th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Swamped in Louisiana

Default Lunges

I think that I have the most difficulty with form while doing lunges. It is so hard to make sure that my knee is in proper alignment without looking down (no mirror in my house that I can use) and if I do look down it causes my to go over the knee. Any ideas???
Unread February 4th, 2005, 07:29 AM
donnadonna

Default Re: Lunges

I am also virtually mirrorless but find that if I make sure that my weight is in my heel, my knee can't go too far forward. Seems to work for me!
Unread February 4th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Profiled in the last Firm Mini-Catalog :)

Hi Fatkat!

Try this... Think... Step. Sink...rather than "lunging..." To me, the lunge can easily be thought of as forward movement. If you think "Step. Sink." it could help stop the motion, which helps keep that forward knee over the heel.

Take care... Let me know if this helps!
Apryl
Unread February 4th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Swamped in Louisiana

Thanks Apryl!! I've been trying to nurse a knee injury while trying to keep my momentum going in my workouts. I think that a lot of my problem is (naturally the injury that occured when lifting both twins) that I remember how I used to do the workouts but my body is not strong enough yet. Especially my lower body and core. My upper body has more stegth now than before I had kids (all that kid lifting). So.........I need to coordinate the brain and body to my new level of fitness. I've decided to try Steamin' Cardio tonight- iv'e never done it before and I hold back a lot when I'm learning a new workout which is best for my knee.

Fatkat
Unread February 5th, 2005, 03:36 AM
Profiled in the last Firm Mini-Catalog :)

Hi Fat Kat!
How are your little ones? I hope you and your family are all well.

I just thought of something else that might help your lunges... Think of your feet as on a train track. When stepping forward, or to the rear for reverse lunges, keep your feet apart, rather than one in front of the other. That might help w/balance, and help you think about less so you're able to focus on the "Step. Sink."

Anyway... You'll regain your strengh as you continue working out! It's good to talk to you again!
Unread February 5th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Whatever happens...happens. :)

Sometimes when I am having trouble with moving lunges, I just get into a good position and just go up and down instead of forward, sink, up and back. This way I can pay more attention to my form. Don't have a clue if this is as effective tho.
Unread February 5th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Working Out

I recently read that pelvic posture is important in lunges. Apparently, you don't want to have a forward tilt when you lunge. . . .I'm still trying to figure out how to do this.
Unread February 6th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Swamped in Louisiana

Thanks for all the suggestions!! I did Bust and Butt really heavy tonight and (Apryl) I thought about the step, sink thing and I really think it helped. Having a rest day yesterday really helped me and tonight I'm much better but it is the mornings when I notice the stiffness the most. I believe that part of my problem is weak hip and glute muscles after all that inactivity from the pregnancies. I DO notice that on the lunges with my right leg I'm trying to use my lower leg to compensate for the lack of strength in my right hip and my range of motion is MUCH less than it was. I'm thinking of adding hip and thigh floor work to really target those muscles without risking my knees.
Unread February 6th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Swamped in Louisiana

And while I'm thinking about it.........the bunny lunges that Tamela Hastie does.......How am I supposed to be doing that?? I feel nothing when I do that move and I eliminated it for fear of hurting my knees with poor form. I DO get cross lunges and rear cross lunges but those bunny lunges........

And Apryl, thank you for asking about my family. All is well and the newest addition is really adding a different flavor to the mix. He is such a cute little guy and can't stand not to be around his sisters. He beams when he sees his sister Addison.
Unread February 9th, 2005, 05:09 AM
Getting Started

Ribs line up with hips - pits to hips too (keeps your shoulders away from your ears - Moving lunge - strike witht he heel and push -( let go of the weights and use a dowel or something to balance with - bring FOCUS to your movements!)
Push back through the heel - take a mental scan of the knees -Feel your knees - they will tell you about your alignment.( lift your chest and draw your naval in like a matress button)

Hope this helps
Tamela