Fitness Favorites Forums  

Go Back   Fitness Favorites Forums > EXERCISE > Workout Tips

Unread February 14th, 2005, 08:06 AM
No matter what obstacles are thrown our way, we're going to keep on keeping on to the best of our abilities. That's the idea anyway.

Default Plie Squats

I just read elsewhere that a former Firm instructor is no longer recommending plie squats - that they are dangerous. Does anyone here have any new info on plie squats? I *love* them, but I do have to be very careful with my knees - no plyos for me, for example.

What's the scoop?

Thanks! Laura
Unread February 14th, 2005, 09:33 AM
WHFN Infomercial Star!

Default Re: Plie Squats

Laura - I've heard the same thing and got nervous about doing them. Since I don't do them every day (not all of my workouts have them), I figured it would be okay.

I would love to get more feedback on it though. I definitely don't want to hurt my knees.
Unread February 14th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Whatever happens...happens. :)

Plie squats are my most favorites and I have never had any trouble with them. And I am going to keep doing them no matter what. But I would like to know why they are considered dangerous.
Unread February 22nd, 2005, 07:39 AM
Working Out

I saw the same post, but there was no explanation as to why they were dangerous. I can't imagine a single reason why they would be wrong. Waiting to hear from Team Fitprime on this one!
Unread February 22nd, 2005, 08:37 AM
The music is like ****ah.

I also don't understand why they would be more dangerous than other exercise .

Since they don't cause me pain, during or after, I'll continue to do them because I love how they work my inner thigh muscles.

I could be persuaded to change my mind though.
Unread February 22nd, 2005, 09:12 AM
WHFN Infomercial Star!

I'm pretty sure there was thread on V's forum that talked about why these weren't good. I'll have to search for it later on.

I still do them because they feel good!
Unread February 22nd, 2005, 09:22 AM
Rebounder Extraordinaire!

I think it said that the plie position was not a natural position and something about muscle imbalance. The natural position is toes forward. Can you tell I really don't know much about it?! Anyway, I like the plies. So I'm another one who does them.
Unread February 22nd, 2005, 09:35 AM
donnadonna

I read that same post on the V forum and, in my feeble recollection, it was something about professional ballet dancers sustaining injury or muscular imbalance or something involving the hip. It didn't make too much of an impression because in my (humble?) opinion, most of these kind of warnings are ridiculous - they obviously apply to elite athletes, which would include ballet dancers, who plie for hours and hours on a daily basis.

You may be in awesome shape, you may be a fitness diva, you may look and feel better than anyone on your block, but if you're a home exerciser, you're probably not an elite athlete - I know that I'm not.

As a general rule, I think that if you watch your form and listen to your body, you're not going to hurt yourself. I think it takes an enormous number of reps on an enormously frequent basis to cause a problem. I've been doing Anna Benson workouts almost exclusively for 15 years and have never sustained any injuries to anything.
Unread February 22nd, 2005, 09:44 AM
Just Signed Up

It was definitely the V forum where that was posted, and it did say that plie squats are an unnatural position for our bodies to be in. I still do them cuz I love Tough Tape 2 and Lower Body Split, but it's not in every workout so I think it's ok to do them once in awhile. Especially since they seem to work so well! I try not to do it too much because I am a devoted V follower; they really emphasize keeping your toes forward in a lot of moves when we're used to them going a little more at an angle. Hope that helped a little!

Click link for Pictures!http://community.webshots.com/user/tlpfan
Unread February 22nd, 2005, 10:42 AM
Rebounder Extraordinaire!

Quote:

As a general rule, I think that if you watch your form and listen to your body, you're not going to hurt yourself. I think it takes an enormous number of reps on an enormously frequent basis to cause a problem. I've been doing Anna Benson workouts almost exclusively for 15 years and have never sustained any injuries to anything.
Well said, Donna!

And Carol, we miss you over at the 50's thread!

You both mentioned listening to you body....that is the key, I think! The older I get the more I have to listen!