Fitness Favorites Forums  

Go Back   Fitness Favorites Forums > EXERCISE > Workout Tips

Unread July 21st, 2005, 02:01 AM
blkane

Default Balancing the trapezius muscles

I have a problem I was hoping all my board buddies could help me with.

The trapezius muscle has an upper, middle and lower section. I seem to be working my upper traps more and they are developing faster. This gives a triangular appearance at the base of the neck. I don't think it's over developed as it doesn't look bad. However, I don't want it any larger either.

I'm trying to figure out what exercises am I doing that are engaging the upper traps? Do I need to go light on weights?

Also, what exercises can I do to develop the middle and lower traps to try and create a more balanced appearance?

Thanks so much for your input.
Unread July 21st, 2005, 02:40 AM
The music is like ****ah.

Default Re: Balancing the trapezius muscles

I know I don't want MY traps any bigger...IMO, not the best look for a woman ya know. I read about a body builder who did concentration curls wrong and overdeveloped his traps. He was really out of proportion.

If you build muscle easily, I wouldn't try to develop the traps any further. Instead, I'd pay strict attention to the muscle group I'm working and keep good form so the traps don't get involved when you don't want them to.

Keep the neck relaxed and concentrate on the shoulder or back muscles (or whatever muscles you are working) to keep the traps out of it.

Shoulder presses make me want to involve my traps. I have to consciously relax my neck and think about my shoulders.

HTH