Fitness Favorites Forums  

Go Back   Fitness Favorites Forums > EXERCISE > Workout Tips

Unread January 27th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Workout Partner

Default Squats!

A question I often see on various fitness forums is the proper form for squats. I've always heard (and TeamWHFN, please feel free to correct any misrepresentation of fact) that you don't want to let your knees shoot out over your toes when doing a squat move. Keep your weight in your heels, and it will help you keep the center of gravity where it should be in a squat move, sort of in the middle -- you want to be able to squat, with your tush out behind you, your knees at at 90 degree angle, and want to squeeze those glutes and ham muscles if you can.

Edited to say that the tip in one of Anna's workouts that said to "keep the weight in your heels" made all the difference.

Anyone else have tips or corrections to the above tip? TIA!

"Your commitments can develop you or destroy you, but either way, they define you." -- Rick Warren

Last edited by NeonJungle; January 27th, 2005 at 08:40 PM.
Unread January 28th, 2005, 01:19 AM
Vidiot with a lost cause

Send a message via Yahoo to stephanie932
Default Re: Squats!

I can't remember what workout made the "lightbulb" go off for squats for me.....but what was said that with that weight in your heels, you should always be able to wiggle your toes. It's funny, because if I'm doing alot of them, I catch myself wiggling those toes to make sure my form is good.
Unread January 28th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Workout Partner

Me, too, Stephanie! Wiggling them helps me keep good form also.

"Your commitments can develop you or destroy you, but either way, they define you." -- Rick Warren
Unread January 29th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Just Signed Up

What really brought good squat form home to me was a problem with my left knee. I had to really focus on squatting using the entire musculature of the legs and glutes in order to keep (painful!) pressure off the knee. The little 'tuck' at the top of a squat is a bonus!

Liz
Unread January 31st, 2005, 10:04 AM
Just Signed Up

For me the key is to start by bracing my core so that my spine is supported throughout the move and my alignment stays good. I also need to give my hip flexors a good stretch between sets because they tend to be tight; otherwise I end up recruiting the wrong muscles.
Unread January 31st, 2005, 08:26 PM
Workout Partner

Great tips, y'all! Thanks! I've had problems with my knees as I get older, so Liz, your post about the 'tuck" is so helpful!

LauraP, our post about bracing the core is great -- it paints a visual picture of how to achieve good form.

Thanks, y'all!

Unread February 22nd, 2005, 07:46 PM
LuckyStar

Hi, I'm new here! I've always been taught that when squatting, you should pretend you're lowering yourself onto a chair (which of course automatically shifts your weight to your heels). Anyway that imagery definitely keeps you from bending your knees forward.
Unread February 23rd, 2005, 04:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyStar
Hi, I'm new here! I've always been taught that when squatting, you should pretend you're lowering yourself onto a chair (which of course automatically shifts your weight to your heels). Anyway that imagery definitely keeps you from bending your knees forward.
That's true - it really reminds you to sit back, way back. I also like the reminder to keep the weight in my heels and lift my toes just a bit to check that.

Welcome, Luckystar!!!

"Fitness is a journey, not a destination."
Unread February 23rd, 2005, 09:03 AM
Dark chocolate IS good for you!

Yep, the keep your weight in your heels/wiggle your toes tip has made the difference for me too.
Unread February 24th, 2005, 06:00 AM
The music is like ****ah.

I did squats for years before it clicked with me. I FINALLY got the hang of keeping my weight in my heels and not letting my knees jut out past my toes. Working out in front of a mirror was my turning point.

But I have a question: Do you tilt your pelvis forwards or backwards? (I've tried to keep it neutral.)

In one FitPrime (Weights First, I think), Tracie says to tilt it backwards. In the TLPs, we are told to always tilt it forward.

Man, I'm confused about that. Anybody have an answer? Maybe you should vary the position?