Fitness Favorites Forums  

Go Back   Fitness Favorites Forums > EXERCISE > Workout Reviews & Rotations

Unread March 18th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Administrator & time optimist

Default FitPrime Pump Reviews

Please post your reviews for FitPrime Pump here.

Instructor:

Heidi Tanner

Crosstrains with:

FitPrime Lean with Keli Roberts

Breakdown/Chapter points:

~ Cardio - Squat abduct
~ Pilates - Bridge and Core
~ Pilates - Core Roll Down
~ Weights - 3-Way Triceps
~ Weights - Nondominant Butt Isometric Push
~ Cardio - Double Hit
~ Weights - Dominant Butt Isometric Push
~ Weights - Plank & Push
~ Cardio - 3-Limb Abduct
~ Weights - Pinch & Open
~ Weights - Nondominant Dip Balance
~ Cardio- Shakey Shakes
~ Weights - Dominant Dip Balance
~ Weights - Nondominant Step Kiss
~ Weights - Floor Kiss
~ Weights - Dominant Step Kiss
~ Yoga - Stick Stretch
~ Yoga - Towel Sweep

Time Breakdown:

Pilates: 5 minutes
Cardio: 13 minutes
Yoga: 7 minutes
Weights: 30 minutes

Total: 55 minutes

Equipment Needed:

~ 14 inch step
~ Heavy & light dumbbells (assorted sizes)
~ Yoga blocks (2 are used)
~ Towel
~ Balance Stick

Last edited by annavere; October 18th, 2005 at 05:52 AM.
Unread March 19th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Getting Started

Default Re: FitPrime Pump Reviews

Ok, here goes! I am not one of those who sits down and writes out the sequencing of every move, so you are just going to get a general overall impression after having just jumped right in and done it.

First of all, these workouts are beautifully produced. I mean, BEAUTIFULLY. They are just saturated in color. The picture quality is so unbelievably crisp. The music is loud and yet you can still perfectly hear Heidi's voice. The camera angles are perfect, showing the proper form for each move.

The workout itself flows very nicely with no awkward segues into the next exercise. I had most of the original Fitprimes and Anna's Just Right weight tape. For those who are concerned these new Fitprimes would be too easy like the Just Right tape, don't worry. PUMP has the toughness of the original Fitprimes (now Kickbutts) but I would say it is "different" in that there are less cardio bursts and the moves are S-L-O-W. You know, like those really slow tall box climbs where you feel like your muscles are literally on fire? "Slow" as in very deliberate.

There is in PUMP the usual emphasis on the lower body with less upper body emphasis. I think all you really do for upper body is a couple sets of biceps, lat rows, push ups and some silly tricep work where Heidi uses the yoga block but says you can use a heavy dumbbell if you want. (Do it....I can't imagine the yoga block accomplishing ANYTHING in the way of tricep muscle work.) The pushups are an example of the Fitprime uniqueness, where Anna has tweaked the move in a new way.....you start out with one hand on the yoga block and then end up by going down into a plank move between each pushup.

There is a pretty cool hip flexor stretch where you bend forward at the waist with hands on the box and then rotate your leg out and forward in little circles. You can really feel the stretch through the hip socket. Throughout the workout are balance and posture stretches.

I didn't notice any of the other instructors in the class and didn't see Narty at all either. Maybe she and they are only in the Kickbutt classes??

I ended up sweaty and trembling at the end and would rate this as an intermediate-to-lower-advanced tape. As with all "Firm" workouts, just heavy up on the weights to make it harder. You won't, however, be breathless and wiped out after doing this one, b/c it really is more deliberate and slow in the actual movements. I was expecting PUMP (maybe b/c of it's name) to have a more work-every-body-part-hard feel, like say FIRM Super Sculpting. It doesn't, but that's not a bad thing. it's just a different way of working out, with the "fusion" element and all.

What I didn't like: not much upper body work, not much ab work and it's sometimes hard to mirror Heidi with the non-dominant side stuff. I think she is using the correct side each time, but I always get mixed up on this!

That being said, this is one beautiful workout. Can't wait to try the other ones!
Unread March 21st, 2005, 05:47 PM
Just Signed Up

Cool Re: FitPrime Pump Reviews

I agree with the first assessment of Pump. I completed it and could feel the muscles worked but I am used to being wiped out with the cardio sections. I actually was able to also complete Crunch Time after Pump. I like the innovative moves, the score and the production quality however, it didn't feel like the more advanced fast cheetah, steamin cardio or weights first. I really would compare the intensity with the early Firm prime power workouts that utilized the dowel a lot and light weights. The use of the dowel and yoga block made this workout too easy for me. It is perfect for a beginning exerciser who could not complete for example the old firm cross trainers or a Firm Vol. 3,4,6. I will use PUMP when I need a light workout.
Unread March 22nd, 2005, 03:32 AM
Administrator

Hi, anyonebut, maybe try the workout without the dowel next time and really heavy up on your weights to up the intensity?

"Fitness is a journey, not a destination."
Unread March 23rd, 2005, 01:07 PM
WHFN Infomercial Star

I REALLY liked this one. I just finished it. I heavied up on the weights as people suggested. One of the things I really liked was how they worked range of motion exercises. I feel like my joints have been oiled.

Since I'm planning to do upper body burn instead of a rest day tomorrow, I'm glad there wasn't a lot of upper body work.
Unread March 24th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Rebounder Extraordinaire!

I just finished Pump and I LOVED IT! As in most of Anna's workouts, there are no wasted moves. I did heavy up on the weighted work. I used the yoga block on the triceps extensions, though, and I will say...I did feel it. I really concentrated on squeezing and pushing the block up....a great isometric move. I can't wait to do my others. I plan on doing Lean tomorrow! Anna has done it again!
Unread March 26th, 2005, 06:00 AM
My Booty is Hurtin!

Did this one this morning and yes I loved it. I did use a weight rather than the block on the triceps and they were really burning. I also am pleased with the cardio sections-not overly tough but fun and easy to up the intensity a bit if you want. Also, I am so glad that these workouts include calf work. This is a neglected muscle for me and I am enjoying it. Heidi was so relaxed and pleasant in this workout. She did an excellent job.
Unread March 26th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Just Signed Up

Thumbs up Re: FitPrime Pump Reviews

I just finished this one- whew! It was harder than I thought it would be! I couldn't finish the hip circles and had to pyramid down on the shoulder/stick push/pull combo. Unfortunately, my heart rate monitor malfunctioned- I would love to know the calorie burn for this one. My heart rate actually got up to 160 at one point, and was at 155 before the end stretch. Good job, Heidi! I have never done any of your workouts until I bought these- they fly by! I was surprised (but a little relieved) when you said it was time to stretch.

Sarah
Unread March 26th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Just Signed Up

I just did this workout today and have to say that I really enjoyed it. I found it to be misleading in that I thought it would be much easier and have less of an affect on me. I'm feeling it in my glutes already . I can't wait to get to know this tape better. The core/ab work was great and I really felt it. I can't say enough good things about this one. This was the first one I've tried and I'm so excited to do all the others.
Unread March 26th, 2005, 12:45 PM
I think we are all sick in a good way ;)

I didn't use the stick at all used medium to heavy weights (never used just one hand - does that make sense?) and this was a great workout!