Fitness Favorites Forums  

Go Back   Fitness Favorites Forums > EXERCISE > Workout Reviews & Rotations

Unread March 26th, 2005, 05:19 PM
My Booty is Hurtin!

Default Re: FitPrime Pump Reviews

Jeanniem-thats the nice thing about these workouts. They really can be modified to an easy or difficult level, depending on where you are physically or how you are feeling.
Unread March 28th, 2005, 04:02 AM
My glasses are a bit to pricey to risk getting them broken.

I'm following Carol this morning. I did Pump for the first time on Saturday, and I loved it. I went as heavy as I could with all the weight work, and I substituted a 6-lb. medicine ball for two exercises with the block--the tricep work on the floor where you squeeze the block and the side lunges while holding the block. I always used the stick, because I think one goal of these workouts is to provide a balance challenge and a dominant/non-dominant challenge by rearranging the typical distribution of weight we get when we do lunges, squats, leg presses, etc. with two dumbbells or a barbell, and having the stick as a counterbalance helps with maintaining good form.
Unread March 28th, 2005, 04:38 AM
Just Signed Up

Happy Monday Everyone!

I did PUMP this morning and loved it!! It really is a great companion to LEAN! The slow, controlled motion felt sooo good! I was able to use heavier weights for the leg work, where I really need some toning!

I look forward to doing this one again. Right now, I am just working my way thru the set, using one crosstrainer one day, then it's friend the next. Tomorrow will be either Flexposture or Metaboost.

I love the way these workouts are incorporation the Yoga block. I have had mine laying around for a year or so and rarely used it until now.

Next time I do PUMP I am considering using my 4# medicine ball for some of the exercises. I think it would work well in the side lunge segments where you hold the block and reach down then up.

BTW, I almost skipped working out today because I was SO tired. Not enough sleep this weekend. Now I feel so good and energized! That's exactly what I needed today. So far, none of these have left me feeling depleted but I do feel like I worked it!

-darlene-
ETA: I just read a few posts up and see that Martha is using a medicine ball! I am glad to know someone else thinks it's a good idea!

Last edited by SpongeBlonde; March 28th, 2005 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Can't type and to add notation
Unread March 29th, 2005, 05:33 AM
Workout Partner

Pump pump pump it up. For a 55minute workout, it was over before I knew it. Heidi said "lets stretch." I looked at the clock and realized that I had been exercising for almost 50 minutes. The pace was not fast at all and yet I worked up a sweat.

Out of the ones I have done so far and so far I have done Metaboost, Strong Bear, FlexPosture, and Fast Cheetah. This is my favorite.

Saundra
Unread March 29th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Administrator

This workout was fast! I chose this one to start my rotation so I can do all the FPs and KBs over the next 12 days. Some of the categories (i.e., cardio, weights, etc.) were mixed up on the chapter points, but I fixed them. Here are my thoughts, along with the chapter breakdown that I posted above in the original post for this thread:

Breakdown/Chapter points:

~ Cardio - Squat abduct - the song was uplifting and really got me going and ready to get started! There's no opening stretch, which is nice; you don't waste time and get started right way!
~ Pilates - Bridge and Core - Hip lifts/pelvic tilts in bridge (feet on the box), with one foot on the opposite knee. Then, bridge/hip lifts straight up and down. Not a ton of reps here, but when I focused on them, I could make each one work. She also does some hip lifts with crunches interlaced.
~ Pilates - Core Roll Down - 2 yoga blocks are used here. This song is beautiful - the vocals are so peaceful! One block behind your back, one between your knees, you roll back down to the block. Then, do the same with side reaches - nice rotation for the back. Lower ab leg lifts are next with the block between the knees. I loved the extra work in the inner thighs!
~ Weights - 3-Way Triceps - She uses the yoga block for these lying "headbanger" type triceps. I used a heavy weight. This song had a magical Arabian kind of feel to it - loved it! Tricep kickbacks, leaning over the box with the block for added support under the stomach/chest. French Press for the triceps - that makes three tricep exercises in a row! She uses the block, but I used a heavy weight.
~ Weights - Nondominant Butt Isometric Push - These are those itty bitty moves where you push hard in your heel on the tall box to set up for leg press. I really had to concentrate to feel this. Then, you move into crouched leg press, then full leg press. Nice and s-l-o-w.
~ Cardio - Double Hit - this was fun! Some kickbox moves, shuffles. I added a lot of intensity to this.
~ Weights - Dominant Butt Isometric Push
~ Weights - Plank & Push - push-ups and planks
~ Cardio - 3-Limb Abduct - wow, this got my heart rate up, and really worked my shoulders! It's a one arm military press with a leg abduction. Tons of reps. She also did some lateral raises with arm and leg.
~ Weights - Pinch & Open - back work - scapular retractions, single arm lat rows. I really felt this up because of how well we set up with the scapular retractions. There's also a great rotation move - my back loved it!
~ Weights - Nondominant Dip Balance - 4 count dips interspersed with side squats.
~ Cardio - Shakey Shakes - Ok, this ranks right up there with the mambo cha cha from Super Cardio! This was so fun! The music, "Hey, World!" was a fun reggae kind of song. Rock steps, hip shakes, tribal pushes, slides, loved it! I added intensity.
~ Weights - Dominant Dip Balance
~ Weights- Nondominant Step Kiss - You kiss the step with your rear - hover squats with the block on the tall box. There's a rotation moved added - again, yummy for the back! There's a really cool hemisphere move (pilates), reminiscent of one in the old FPs; it's typically done on the floor, but instead we did them leaning with our hands on the tall box. It's great for increasing flexibility in the hip. I found it very challenging this way; more gravity to fight against.
~ Weights - Floor Kiss - Lunges - front lunges with biceps and later side lunges, where you kiss the floor. The side ones are great and have a rotation move added.
~ Weights - Dominant Step Kiss
~ Yoga - Stick Stretch
~ Yoga - Towel Sweep

Overall Thoughts:

How did a workout that's supposed to be 55 minutes pass by THAT quickly? Heidi was wonderful - her cuing and form tips were impeccable. The cardio tunes were very fun! I cannot say enough how much I appreciate all the added rotations for core strength and added mobility. This will do so many good things for all of us! There was an ultra long stretch at the end, both standing and seated, which was nice. The seated stretch included towels, which is always a favorite on this forum.

It's just like others have said, there is going to be absolutely no dread factor for me and this workout; and that's always a good thing.

"Fitness is a journey, not a destination."

Last edited by Tarheels; March 29th, 2005 at 10:37 AM.
Unread March 29th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Just Signed Up

Everyone else has pretty much said everything! I added intensity to the cardio, heavied up on the weights and really concentrated on the muscle I was working. Boy, did I feel it!

I LOVED this workout. Heidi was great and her form pointers came at just the right times! Please make another workout like this one - so far it is the best of the bunch! True AWT as far as I am concerned. I can't wait to try Lean tomorrow.
Unread March 30th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Getting Started

Just finished this workout, and didn't expect it to be as hard as it was! I also used a weight instead of the yoga block for tricep extensions. The slow movements really had me breathing hard, and it was a relief each time Heidi finished each sequence. Heidi's calm and helpful instructions certainly helps you get through it! I had difficulty following which side to use - I was hoping that I worked both sides, but it was hard to figure it out. As with the original FitPrime, I think that I'll use a post-it note and stick it on the side of my jog-bra as I complete that side. This is a great workout!
Unread March 30th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionaangel
Just finished this workout, and didn't expect it to be as hard as it was! I also used a weight instead of the yoga block for tricep extensions. The slow movements really had me breathing hard, and it was a relief each time Heidi finished each sequence. Heidi's calm and helpful instructions certainly helps you get through it! I had difficulty following which side to use - I was hoping that I worked both sides, but it was hard to figure it out. As with the original FitPrime, I think that I'll use a post-it note and stick it on the side of my jog-bra as I complete that side. This is a great workout!
I found that I always had to mirror what Heidi was doing. I had to be set up exactly like her. If I turned even just a bit differently than how she was turned, I would get all confused!

Unread March 30th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Working Out

Default You learn something new every day!

Jenn, thanks for pointing out that we have both a "dominant butt" and a "non-dominant butt"
Unread March 30th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Default Re: You learn something new every day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firm Believer
Jenn, thanks for pointing out that we have both a "dominant butt" and a "non-dominant butt"
LOL! Actually, whomever listed the chapter titles on the DVD gets that credit. I wasn't even thinking about that when I typed it. I guess one side of mine is more dominant than the other. I guess?!