Fitness Favorites Forums  

Go Back   Fitness Favorites Forums > EXERCISE > Workout Reviews & Rotations

Unread January 12th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Just Signed Up

Default Re: FitPrime Pump Reviews

Ruth,

A couple of "intensity" tips for the Pump cardio.
First, when we do the kickbox inspired tune, add a real big jump when we do the releve/touch the ground move.(this was included in one of the original drafts of the workout) I taught that move today in my 9:15 class and when you combine a jump with a floor touch, it really gets the heart into your aerobic zone!

Also, in the "Hey World" cardio tune, we originally choreographed the rock steps to be high impact, the double step touches to be a turn and the hips had "jumping" feet.

Maybe these tips will help and if not, I would ask you what I ask of all my clients....
How high does your heartrate really need to be to be giving you the benefits of a solid cardio workout (fat burning and cardiovascular health and fitness) I see many clients who always make their cardio segments high intensity, which is not bad, but the body does need variety, and a great way to get variety is to vary your cardio intensity. Some days cardio intensity can be in the lower range of numbers and other days towards the top end, but try hard to get out of "No Mans Land" which is where you work at the same cardio intensity all the time. Your body will adapt quickly causing you to stop seeing results.

Hope this is helpful and that you reach all of your goals in 2006!

Heidi Tanner
Unread January 12th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Working Out

Thanks Heidi for sharing these modifications! Intensity aside, they sound like fun!
Unread January 12th, 2006, 04:21 PM
donnadonna

Hi, Ruth! I was wondering if you're using a heart rate monitor. When I began using one, I was amazed to see that my heartrate was in my target zone though I did not feel like I was working hard at all. Conversely, I discovered that during some of the workouts I thought got my heart rate all the way up there (segments of "Up & Down" come immediately to mind), my reading wasn't as high as I would have predicted. It's taking me a while to really understand that workout efficacy does not necessarily equal high-impact.

I've stopped using the heart rate monitor for now (am I the only one who find it creates too much pressure to go all out, all the time?), but I would certainly recommend giving
one a try if you haven't been using one. With modifications, I think you'll be very pleased with the WHFNs.

Hi, Heidi! I wish you and your babies a wonderful new year! Can I ask where you teach and if outsiders are allowed? I live in New York and my ex-husband's wife (who is now a big fan ... he got her doing the workouts because he knew what they had done for me!) were discussing the possibility of a field trip...
Unread January 13th, 2006, 03:09 AM
Getting Started

Wow--I tried to post a long reply 1/2 hour ago but couldn't get on to the whfn website.

Heidi--thanks for your suggestions. I did actually try most of the modifications that you suggested and they did get my heart rate up but the sections are so short that it seems they're over before I really feel any aerobic effect. The cardio is only 13 minutes, I wonder if there is any benefit in including the cardio sections in the workout.

Don't get me wrong, I love Pump and all the WHFN FitPrime workouts and I generally prefer to keep my workouts at an intermediate level. I feel consistency is preferable to going all out and getting hurt.

Do you think the addition of the 1lb handweights (from the G-Force workout) would be a good way to increase the cardio intensity?

Donnadonna--interesting what you said about the heart rate monitor and the difference between perceived aerobic intensity vs. the actual heart rate.

RuthNYC
Unread January 13th, 2006, 04:05 PM
donnadonna

While I think most of the orthopedists on the planet think it's a bad idea, I do all of my workouts with wrist weights and find it requires much more exertion than working out without them. I would think that the rebounder weight gloves would be far more sensible; you'll work a bit harder but they're lighter and more balanced than wrist weights.

I like the fact that the wrist weights require me to be very conscious of proper and controlled hand, arm and shoulder movement (that, and the fact that they've given me a lot more definitition!).

Good luck!
Unread January 14th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Getting Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnadonna
While I think most of the orthopedists on the planet think it's a bad idea, I do all of my workouts with wrist weights and find it requires much more exertion than working out without them. I would think that the rebounder weight gloves would be far more sensible; you'll work a bit harder but they're lighter and more balanced than wrist weights.

I like the fact that the wrist weights require me to be very conscious of proper and controlled hand, arm and shoulder movement (that, and the fact that they've given me a lot more definitition!).

Good luck!
I had the rebounder weight gloves in mind.

Do you use the the gloves for most/all your workouts?

RuthNYC
Unread January 14th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Administrator & time optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthNYC
...The cardio is only 13 minutes, I wonder if there is any benefit in including the cardio sections in the workout...
Just a thought, with the dvds being chaptered, it is easy to repeat a tune. You can always try that to add more cardio. I just hit the skip back one chapter button on the remote. That often takes me back further than I'd like to go, but then when I hit the skip forward button to get to just the right spot. I don't know why, but I've noticed a lot of dvds have more "stop" points on the skip forward than back...at least that is how it works on my player.
Unread January 19th, 2006, 02:03 PM
donnadonna

Hi, Ruth!

I used to use the gloves on all of my workouts but found that they were too light. ReboundAir also sells 2-1/2 pound gloves but discovered upon delivery that they are cut for a man's hand (and a huge man at that!). So now I use regular 2-1/2 pound wrist weights. If I'm feeling strong, I'll also wear the gloves.

Going back to the whole heart monitor thing again, I had never realized until I got one that alot of the weight work, particularly the compound moves, pushes me into my cardio zone. So while a segment might not be classified as "cardio", it does not mean that I'm not working in my target zone.

I happened to do "Pump" again today and remembered that another intensifier I use is to add ankle weights to the standing leg work (you know, the dips, lunges, hemispheres, ad- and abductions). I also do what Ginger does and double up on some of the cardio. I gotta tell you, I work up a very manly sweat by the end. When I was using the monitor, I used to get about 40 minutes solidly in my zone. It took me so long to "get" this workout but it's now one of my favorites...

Have a great night!
Unread January 20th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Getting Started

I think those 1 lb gloves will be more than enough for me

You're absolutely right about the heart rate going in to the cardio zone during compound moves. I can get a great sweat during compound moves, especially if the exercise involves raising my arms above my heart.

I've thought about doubling up on the cardio segments. Good idea.

RuthNYC