Fitness Favorites Forums  

Go Back   Fitness Favorites Forums > EXERCISE > Workout Reviews & Rotations

Unread March 23rd, 2005, 05:28 AM
Survivor Pool? Are you kidding? I'm IN!

Default Re: FitPrime Lower Body Burn reviews

Melissa is superb! Usually, it takes me a while to warm up to new instructors. Not Melissa - she is just great. Anna - you must use her again.

The workout itself was also quite good. I followed her exactly - only using wgts when Melissa did. However, I did do the towel cardio on my rebounder. Next time I will use wgts during hovers and plies to increase intensity (she didn't). Also, it took a while to reach my target HR, so next time I plan to do one of the cardio segments right after the warmup.

The workout is intermediate, but it would be easy to make it more advanced with heavier wgts. I will be doing this workout a lot.
Unread March 23rd, 2005, 05:35 AM
Getting Started

Do the instructors say what weights they are using, or do they just say heavy, medium or light?
Unread March 23rd, 2005, 05:44 AM
I want to go back to the islands...................

They mainly say, medium, light or heavy, which is my preference.

In either Lean or Pump, the instructor did say to grab 3 or 5 lb. dumbbells for standing shoulder work.
Unread March 23rd, 2005, 01:45 PM
My Booty is Hurtin!

I got my set today and started with this one. It was a really good, fun workout. I worked up a sweat by using heavier weights and cracked up at some of Melissa's comments. I have to say that her cueing is excellent. I didn't miss a step because she does such a great job of " lead ins" I also thought the stretch at the end was well choreographed. Each move really flowed into the next. I am off until Tues, so I will have a chance to enjoy an new workout each day before I go back to work.
Unread March 23rd, 2005, 04:44 PM
Vidiot with a lost cause

Send a message via Yahoo to stephanie932

Well........I previewed and did Lower Body Burn. I have to say...... the music and quality of these are much, much better than another instructor who just had a big release!!! And I loveeeeeeeeee this other instructor......but, when I saw this on other threads on other boards......I thought, no way......but they really, really are. The music just seems to pump right out of the television at you. And the set........and the quality........and just everything!!!!

I'll do the best that I can with a review.......But just know.....lower body work is NOT my favorite...in fact......I hate it! The only reason I did this one was because 1.) The dvd was lose in the case when I got it and I wanted to make sure it was okay. And 2.) It was the 1st workout on the FitPrime rotation and I'd like to try that for 4 weeks.

I really liked the workout!!! Melissa Grill does an awesome job of cuing and explaining why you do the moves as she directs you. I have to say......I wasn't nearly as graceful as she and the others are when I did this, but I'm sure I'll get better. It does involve alot of core work, and I know I have to work on this.

For this one you needed light dumbells (I used 3 lbs.), 2 yoga blocks, high step, towel (I used cathe's stretchie band), and a dowel (I used my barbell unloaded). Can I just tell you........I thought these were to be easier than the KickButts......and OMG.......I couldn't do everything!!!! So, now I'm really, really worried about the KickButts.....lol I'm hoping it is because I'm coming off 6 days w/o exercise because of the flu......but my legs are seriously sore!!!

She started you off with a ton of squats......slow and up to tempo, using the dowel and twisting.....then she goes into these bridge thingies for your glutes/abs.......my working leg was literally shaking.....and this was still the first song!!! lol I'm wimpy!!! Then somewhere in the mix you do leg presses but you graduate from just pushing on your heel that is on the step, to getting some air under the leg you lift and just keeping a bend in the leg that is on the high step.....then finally you do these leg presses but super slow......ay yiiiiiiiiiiiiiii yiiiiiiiiiiiiii.......I'll say it again......I'm wimpy!!! I think you get the picture. She finished you off with some yoga and I really liked that (I've done pilates but not yoga).

It was a solid, solid workout.........I was impressed and sort of sad that I couldn't do everything because I really thought I could. And then, on the other hand, I'm happy I can't do everything because then it's something for me to work up to. I really enjoyed this workout and would give it an "A"!!!

Click here to see my Exercise Blog
Unread March 25th, 2005, 03:51 AM
Just Signed Up

I just finished doing this workout.

I agree with everything everyone said about the instructor, Melissa. She has excellent cuing, has awesome form and is just cute! The set is quite nice after seeing the "new" FIRM backgrounds and the "old" FitPrime backgrounds. It is just so refreshing.

I liked the workout, but did not feel 'worked out' when it was done. I used 5 and 12 pound weights. I followed what she did exactly - no modifications.

The best section (for me) was the 'leg press' section. The one where you push into the box, 'pop up' you standing leg and finish with slow crouces. I used 12's and will probably use 15's next time. The stretch at the end was SUPERB! I LOVED IT!

I did not find it as difficult as the other lower body workouts from Anna. Lower Body Split comes to mind. The cardio, for me, is not really cardio.

I agree with whoever used the comparison of Prime Power Lower Body Shaping with Kim Bartlett. In it, she used the dowel and lighter weights. However, I do use this one in a rotation and use heavier weights.

I am going to try this workout again using heavier weights and not using the dowel in some places.

I can see me using this on my light workout week. You do feel worked out and that stretch at the end makes you feel very tall and refreshed ( did I mention I LOVED IT?)
Unread March 25th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Vidiot with a lost cause

Send a message via Yahoo to stephanie932
Unhappy Re: FitPrime Lower Body Burn reviews

Oh, now I truly feel whimpy if you are using it during your light weeks, stefs!!!

What in the world would I have done wrong that I hurt this bad from doing it? Seriously, I couldn't walk right yesterday (Thursday)......my quads and thighs were hurting soooooooo bad and I did this workout on Wednesday!!!

Today they are stilllllllllll sore!!! Sheesh, you'd think after working out w/ Cathe this wouldn't have snuck up on me like it did!

I'm in total awwwwwwww, stefs that you are feeling no pain! *bows*

Click here to see my Exercise Blog
Unread March 25th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Just Signed Up

Please don't feel wimpy! OH MY!

I can only think of three things -

1. I am doing something SERIOUSLY wrong. Although, I felt that the pace was not fast ( a VERY good thing! ) so I think my form was correct. But, one NEVER knows. That is why I am going to do it again - soon!

2. I have really been working my legs this month. I go on a 4 - 6 week rotation. I have been using 15 lbs. for my leg presses and hover squats - anything leg press/squat related. I do 2 separate leg workouts a week. The other days are Low Max, IMAX 3, Cardio & Weights, Core Cardio 2 and Super Cardio.

3. I didn't have a yoga block and used a book. It wasn't very high. Their yoga blocks looked bigger.

Don't get me wrong - I could feel my legs working (especially during that one sequence you described - the press, the little hop, then the crouch squat - felt that!) My feeling was like the other poster who said she felt worked out, but may have to modify. AND, who knows, maybe I didn't feel it during the workout, but will later. That happened to me on Firm It UP (Slim Series) I got done the workout and thought - okay, a good workout, but....then BAM, the next day I was sore!

I don't know your exercise level. I do know that all workouts effect people differently. So, please, don't feel like a wimp. I bet there are Cathe's you are doing that I could not do as well.
Unread March 28th, 2005, 03:20 AM
Getting Started

Love Melissa. Excellent workout. I was a wimp as well.

Anita
Unread March 28th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Getting Started

Admittedly I used very light weights (3 lbs.) for this workout because I'm still recovering from a broken wrist (broken during a FIRM step DVD where I fell off the 8" portion of the FL). I haven't been able to exercise for months on a regular basis but I found this workout barely got my heart rate up at all. I don't think there is enough of anything here. I thought the aerobics with the towel was just silly - what is that supposed to do? It's too short to accomplish anything. I felt nothing from the duck squats. I'm hoping the others are a bit harder, as the original FIRMs were. Otherwise, I have to say Karen Voight, Cathe and even Joyce Vedral give a much better workout and even the newer FIRMs are tougher. Sorry, I don't mean to be grumpy. I just felt that it was way too slow and easy and am rather disappointed since I bought the 12 pack.