Fitness Favorites Forums  

Go Back   Fitness Favorites Forums > EXERCISE > Workout Reviews & Rotations

Unread March 28th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Just Signed Up

Default Re: FitPrime Lower Body Burn reviews

I just got finished with Lower Body Burn. I have to say that I thought it would be better. I liked the bridge work - that was tough, but the heel presses onto the yoga block? What was that? I used my tall step topper so it was 4 inches but I didn't feel a thing. Plus the segment was so LOOOOOONG.

I also didn't like the duck squats. They felt uncomfortable and silly. I really liked the tall box segment - that I know I'll feel tomorrow.

The "cardio" between the leg work was very easy and I'm sorry - I couldn't get sassy with my towel - I just felt goofy swinging it around and hitting the walls. Also, it didn't get my heartrate up at all. I tried making my movements really big but it really didn't do much for me.

I could easily modify this workout to work for me but I just didn't warm up to Melissa at all. I'm really sorry - I hate to post things like that but feel I have to tell the truth. I see she has a ton of fans on this thread already so I don't feel too bad, lol.

Considering the fact that this is the 6th workout I've tried and so far, the only one I haven't liked, I think WHFN has done a magnificent job.

Edited to add - I just wanted to add a few more thoughts (Can you tell I feel uncomfortable not raving about a workout!?) I think the reason I'm so disappointed is because during the heel presses on the block, my heartrate dropped so much I couldn't call it AWT like I had hoped and I had such high hopes for this workout.

Another thing, the workout was 52 minutes long and I was just thought there should have been more content. I felt like I had wasted most of those minutes on uneffective moves with really tough ones mixed in.

My last thought is this - I know Anna is thinking of making "parts" workouts and IMHO, the final stretch on this DVD is fantastic. Definitely the best one I've tried so far. I hate parts DVDs but just a thought...

Last edited by tjc; March 28th, 2005 at 12:43 PM. Reason: wanted to add a few more thoughts
Unread March 28th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Profiled in the last Firm Mini-Catalog :)

I appreciate your honesty, TJC. I don't have this one, but am so curious!
Unread March 28th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Patience? What is this patience that you speak of? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie2
Admittedly I used very light weights (3 lbs.) for this workout because I'm still recovering from a broken wrist (broken during a FIRM step DVD where I fell off the 8" portion of the FL). ...
Three pounds is really very light for lower body work, is it possible that the workout is not meant to get your heart rate up as much as to tone your lower body? (I'm previewing it just now - to see the moves). All that said I just did Beachbody's Power Half Hour Thigh Trimmer, uses no weights at all and it kicked my butt.

Reading the calendars "Believe it or not, you need both easy and hard workouts.. Science proves you get better results when you vary the intesity of workouts..." This tape may be the 'easier' workout, mainly toning without the cardio intesity you were looking for
Unread March 28th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Patience? What is this patience that you speak of? LOL

Form issues...anyone notice that Melissa's knees go past her toes when she squats without the balance stick. My knees hurt just looking at that no-no.

I can see the benefit of this workout by previewing it though, I'll be following the calendars in a few weeks, I can't wait to share my results
Unread March 29th, 2005, 02:03 AM
Profiled in the last Firm Mini-Catalog :)

Hi Vennitta!
I can't wait to hear of your results!

I totally agree we need different intensities from day to day~ ABB proved that, for myself, I can maintain my fitness level and even increase it with lighter workouts. Working out smarter is key. Having said that, I still enjoy a kickbutt workout... pun intended!

Bernie, I hope you're soon able to heavy up on those weights.
Unread March 29th, 2005, 07:49 AM
In Training

Cool Re: FitPrime Lower Body Burn reviews

I'm kinda like tjc in that I thought this would be better. Maybe it's because I've been doing Cathe's Legs and Glutes, but this was super easy for me, and I don't think of myself as "advanced". That is not to say that I don't think it should be a part of the group of workouts. A while back, before I started working legs, it would have been an okay starter workout for me. I used to hate squats and (plee-a's) (can't spell either).....and this workout doesn't go overboard on them. But for me now, there aren't enuf of them. I also couldn't get into the heel press on the block. I started out that way, but then switched to my high step AND used 10 pound weights. I just didn't really end up feeling like I had a good lower body workout....I feel I need to do something else because there wasn't enuf cardio to call it my cardio workout either. Just kinda disappointed.

I'm loving my other FitPrimes, and looking forward to getting the KickButts, but this one I'll probably give away to someone getting started.....and get Them hooked on FitPrimes too

~~tracy
Unread March 29th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Getting Started

I'm going to get my yoga blocks tonight. I used a broom (like the lady in the class) instead of the FIRM stick which is too heavy for me right now. I hope to up my weights as my wrist gets stronger. I used to do 8, 10 and 15s. Yikes.
Unread March 30th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Gimme something funky, ok? :)

I did Lower Body Burn for the first time this morning. I really enjoyed Melissa - I thought she was a great instructor, fabulous cueing, upbeat and fun. But I really thought the workout was a bit too easy. With that said, however, I will say that I used fairly light weights - it looked like they were using 3's and 5's in the DVD, so that's what I used. I could have easily bumped up my weights and made it more challenging. Next time, I intend to do just that.

For sure, there are lower body workouts out there that are much tougher. But not every workout we do needs to be uber-difficult. If you're left crying from "the burn" after every single workout, exercising loses its appeal and then you never want to do it. And let's face it, we all have times when we just don't feel 100%, or we're recovering from injury or illness. It's because of these things that we need to have workouts like this one handy.

And who knows - maybe tomorrow my legs will be sore.

I would give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter.
Unread March 30th, 2005, 07:06 AM
I think we are all sick in a good way ;)

I did it this morning with a few modifications:
1) 2 hand held weights with every leg segment.
2) My 6 lb medicine ball for the cardio segments and warm up
3) Short lunges instead of
Unread March 30th, 2005, 01:50 PM
My glasses are a bit to pricey to risk getting them broken.

I did Lower Body Burn for the first time this afternoon. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I loved it. I did it as designed, using my own version of light and medium weights and using the stick when it was called for. I prefer keeping the stick for the leg work and using a single dumbbell, because I think doing this challenges the muscles in a different way than holding a dumbbell in each hand.

I think the heel press, etc. on the block mimics stepping onto a curb or another uneven surface (walking on unlevel ground, for example)--an everyday move that requires balance, knee and ankle strength and stability, etc. You may feel it more if you substitute tall box work, but you won't get the same benefit (IMHO). If the block seems too easy, try it on an inflatable balance disc/cushion. I also think the tall box work is designed to improve balance and knee and ankle strength and stability by hitting the muscles differently and putting different demands on them.

I love using the blocks for ab work and may start incorporating them into some of my other workouts.

One thing I may do differently next time is to use a medicine ball in place of the stick in the warmup and the hover balance segment. Another is to add a dumbbell in one hand in the lunge kiss segment.

Melissa is great, as have been all the instructors so far. The cuing and form pointers are excellent.

Oh, and I really, really loved the music, especially for the stretches (which were superb). The jazzy Beethoven in particular put a big smile on my face!