Fitness Favorites Forums  

Go Back   Fitness Favorites Forums > EXERCISE > Workout Reviews & Rotations

Unread March 18th, 2005, 06:34 AM
Administrator & time optimist

Default KickButt Fast Cheetah Reviews

Please place your KickButt Fast Cheetah reviews here.

Last edited by annavere; October 18th, 2005 at 05:50 AM.
Unread March 22nd, 2005, 05:05 PM
Makes me feel good to see this body do things my daughter can't. I couldn't have done it without my FitPrime/FIRM/WHFN workouts.

Default Re: KickButt Fast Cheetah Reviews

Carol, you just about covered it all This was the first of the new workouts I tried and loved it!! The new set is beautiful and bright. Kimberly and Heidi shine. I can't wait to try another tomorrow.
Unread March 23rd, 2005, 04:41 AM
donnadonna

I agree with Willow and Carol!

Did KB Strong Bear yesterday and found it very similar to the original; however, this workout is quite different than Tracie's. Must say that I really missed the medicine ball work - "ball play" and "sports drills" are my favorite part of the originals. Much of the original choreography has been retained but modified. (And now I'm confused ... am I supposed to bring my butt to the step during the "chugs" or not?) Light weights were only used in one tune. Am hoping the new cardio will grow on me. Was lamenting the apparent loss of the stride jumps, but they showed up later in the workout - not as many as I would have liked (those babies really work the glutes!), but at least they were there. I really liked the ab work on the original and this is the same, only demonstrated without ankle weights.

Kimberly is the first instructor I've seen (as I basically only do Anna workouts) that doesn't punch like a girl. Great form on her, which undoubtedly will help me improve mine. The kickboxing was great and I would have liked to see more of it.

I don't use a heartrate monitor and would me most curious if anyone who does could post the difference, if any, between the two workouts.

My initial reaction to this workout is that it was not challenging or innovative enough. However, I've been doing Anna's workouts long enough to know that she's giving me a great workout whether I realize it or not, so am withholding judgment until I see the results.
Unread March 23rd, 2005, 05:47 AM
I think we are all sick in a good way ;)

I don't know if I can bring myself to do this version of FC - Tracie's is perfect and the ball work is great for the core...
Unread March 23rd, 2005, 08:36 AM
I want to go back to the islands...................

Fast Cheetah

Heidi Tanner and Kimberly Spreen

Heidi Tanner and Kimberly Spreen team up to bring us Fast Cheetah. Heidi starts this workout with a warm-up that consist of step, press, and dip, the same warm-up that was in the original Fast Cheetah. The music, I believe, is the same music as the original FC.

The first thing that you will notice that the only equipment used in this workout is a 14" step, a light pair of dumbbells and a yoga block. I found this workout very easy to modify up in intensity. I'm a firm believer that a video is just a tool. It is up to me to make this video fit my current fitness level, which includes, strength, cardio capacity, and any physical limitations I have.

This is the equipment that I used with each segment:

Cardio #1-Step Touch "L". I turned this into a 4-limb aerobic section by using 3 lb. hand weights.
Cardio #2-Chugs and Kisses. I used a 14" tall box. I'm not sure why kisses is in the title, because I didn't see Kimberly blowing kisses.
Weights #1-Balance 4-Limb. I used 5 lb. hand weights and it was plenty challenging with the weights I selected.
Cardio #3-Serve a Tray-I turned this into a 4-limb aerobic section by using 3 lb. hand weights.
Cardio #4-Handstands and tall box climbs. I used a 14" step.
Cardio #5-Plyo Variations. No added weights were used during this section.
Cardio #6-Kickbox. I used my Billy Balls for this routine.
Cardio #7-Skater's Leap. I used my 3 lb. Oof ball
Cardio #8-Lunge Circle. I used my 3 lb. Oof ball
Yoga-Warrior Lunge
Pilates-ND Bridge and Pecs
Pilates-D Bridge and Pecs
Yoga-Leg Circles and Cobra
Pilates-Bi-Lateral Slice
Yoga-Mermaid

I loved this workout much more than the original FC. I found a couple of the cardio segments in the first workout too long and a bit on the boring side. Heidi and Kimberly do a fantastic job leading this workout. The background exercisers also did a great job. Once again, the production is fantastic, the music is awesome and crystal clear, and the routine flows beautifully and is flawless.

The yoga and pilates routines at the end of this workout is a wonderful way to get your core work in, and a wonderful stretch for your body. I enjoyed it very much.

What's missing in this workout is the medicine ball work and the ankle weights, BUT, you can add this back into the workout. I opted not to add ankle weights to my workout, but I did add the medicine ball to the last two cardio sections.

My stats for this workout:
Warm-up and Cardio
30:02-Total workout time
24:02-THRZ
131-average heartrate
calories burned-204
fat-40%

Yoga and Pilates
18:47-Total workout time
1:35-THRZ
98-average heartrate
calories burned-29
fat-55%
Unread March 27th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Getting Started

This is one fun cardio workout! I would have to say that this and LEAN from the new Fitprime series are my two favorites for overall fun factor.

This is a true cardio only workout for the first 25 minutes. Lots of interesting moves to raise your heartrate right up there, including these "hand stands" on the tall box (which are much more manageable than they sound!) The rest of the cardio revolves around basic step movements across the floor and some kickboxing moves. All of the cardio is led by Kimberly Spreen who is an awesome and easy to follow instructor. I wish the cardio was longer, but all you need to do is repeat the whole cardio section for a longer workout.

I read a review that someone felt the cardio is easy. I disagree. Although there is not a lot of typical high impact moves, there is SOME jumping and to intensify the workout all you need to do is put in more effort: punch and kick harder, jump higher, and move across your space with wider strides.

After the cardio portion, Heidi takes over for hip/thigh and core work on the floor.

I'd rank this as a workout that can be modified for beginner through advanced. It's not going to totally wipe you out, but it will very nicely do what it's supposed to: give you a fun and effective cardio workout to alternate with your heavier weight days. A+
Unread March 27th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Working Out

Quote:
This is a true cardio only workout for the first 25 minutes.
What do you mean by "true cardio"?
Unread March 27th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Getting Started

What do you mean by "true cardio"? Lisa,
I mean that it's just cardio....not weight training.
Unread March 28th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Workout Partner

One of the things that I am noticing with these workouts is that I have to retool my thinking. That is because I don't find anything really traditional about the ones I have done so far. It is nice to see that Anna is trying to be innovative and it is even nicer to see (for me at least) that I am being open to that innovation.

With that said, overall, I liked Fast Cheetah. The moves were different. I think I like this one better than Strong Bear because the pace was a little quicker and the workout moved faster so there was less time for me to become impatient.

The one thing I really don't care for in workouts is the switching back and forth between multiple instructors. Especially in this case because it appeared as if there was two different workouts splice together. I prefer one instructor from beginning to end.

Saundra
Unread March 29th, 2005, 02:17 AM
Master Workout Partner

Send a message via AIM to jeanie

Loved it! I was worried about this one, since I'm a big fan of the original Fast Cheetah and adore the ball play (which has been removed). No worry though -- the routines that replaced the ball play are fun and got my heart rate up there. I think this is a "gentler" Fast Cheetah. Some of the higher impact moves were removed and substituted with moves that are effective yet easier on the joints.

Here's my stats:

49 minute workout
119 average hr
29 minutes in zone
233 calories burned