Fitness Favorites Forums  

Go Back   Fitness Favorites Forums > EXERCISE > Success Stories!

Unread December 31st, 2012, 12:16 PM
Administrator & time optimist

Default My Story, Steps to Reclaiming My Health

I'm going to give a quick summary of my exercise history. In late 90's I began losing weight. I did it through some dietary changes that were not necessarily the most healthful. (At the time I didn't know it.) I also did a lot of walking, walking and more walking. Around 2001, I started using exercise videos. Shortly thereafter I found the FIRM and then FitPrime. It was pretty much love at first workout. I continued using these workouts, a few Cathe's and a couple misc. others successfully until sometime around 2009.

That brings us to the last three years. Yikes. Life hit and it hit hard. I went through a heap of emotional turmoil which lead me to stop caring about myself the way I should have been. I started eating for comfort, out of anger or just because. I stopped exercising for the most part. I'd try a workout here or there, but absolutely no consistency. It could have been a month or two between each, with the exception of swimming. For a time, I found that to be very comforting and managed to get to the pool almost daily, but I still gained fat, lost muscle and a lot of strength during these last few years. That's not a pretty picture. I don't like what I see in the mirror anymore, but now I know I am ready to deal with what I see and not hide from it. The last year has allowed me to go through a time of emotional healing. I'm ready to take care of the physical now too.

My doctor once told me, "the best exercise is the one you will do." I think he was right on target. If I don't like it, I won't do it. I think this applies to making changes too. If you aren't ready, the changes won't stick. I'm planning changes. I've already started some, but they aren't radical. They will be in steps, so I can make sure I stick with them. I will not punish myself for setbacks. Each moment is a new moment to move forward. If I mess up, I can start again in the next moment and not wait for tomorrow or Monday. I desire to enjoy my life, but I want to live it with moderation, balance and health in mind.

Here are my first steps

Brown rice and veggies. This has become a staple for me in the last month. Surprisingly, I am finding I like the convenience of cooking a batch which lasts 2-3 days for me, and adding different veggies each day. I used to eat only a limited amount of white rice, so finding I like brown rice, especially when it is prepared with vegetable broth, is a pleasant surprise. This alone cuts out one "white food," adds fiber and a variety of crunchy colorful veggies.

Over the last couple days, I've worked to stop drinking sugar. (I LOVE the taste of Coke!) I like carbonation. I don't want to drink artificial sweeteners, don't want the calories from sugar or the spike in insulin level. My solution was to mix freshly brewed iced tea with lemon and carbonated water. I have a SodaStream, so I am experimenting with just the right amount of fizz. I think I like a bit less fizzy than they suggest, but no sugar, no artificial sweetener, a bit of caffeine and most important of all, I like the taste.

I am committing to 4 hours of exercise a week. This isn't an extreme amount. It is very doable. Exercise improves one's mood and outlook. I like the way I feel after a workout. I've missed that.

These are my first steps. I am looking forward to the New Year, the potential I see in the future and reclaiming my health one day at a time. Happy 2013 and Happy New Rear!
Unread December 31st, 2012, 11:45 PM
Simpler is better!

Default Re: My Story, Steps to Reclaiming My Health

Thank you Ginger for sharing your journey. I think maybe we could have been twins. You pretty much told my story with just a few differences, but overall it's the same.

2012 has been brutal with 4 family deaths, losing a beloved pet, my daughter's 4 year relationship ending with her bf a family feud on my husbands side that as hit new heights (or should I say a new low). The stress has really effected my body profoundly. I have not done anything good for myself since early last spring... before we started losing family.

I am basically going to do a combo of Prism diet and 17 Day diet. In short, eliminate white food products, control portions, journal, find new ways to prepare foods. I've did Prism years ago and lost 50lbs in 6 months and felt fabo! I know my body doesn't want the "white" crud b/c of how positive my body reacts when I'm not consuming it. 4 times a week for exercise, with a possible 5th day in there when I can. I will be mainly using "All things Anna" & Classical Stretch for my workouts. I will use Classical Stretch primary for stretching and stress relief. My neck has been very stiff lately, so I hoping this combo will do the trick.

It feels good not to do this alone! Thanks for starting the accountability.
Unread February 3rd, 2013, 04:24 AM

Tina,

I am sorry that you have had a rough time, but I do thank you for sharing also. We can do this together!

Things I have re-learned in January:

1. Drink lots of water. (I am so thirsty at work! I have been drinking 1-2 bottles of water per shift.) I have not totally eliminated soda. I do love Coke, but, I have cut down sooooooo much! I am happy about that. I do like carbonated or slightly fruity carbonated water or iced tea if I want caffeine. That helps with the Coke craving a lot!

2. Eat less = feel better and have more energy. A simple equations that works. I like it.

3. I feel better when I eat more protein and less simple sugars.

4. Packing a snack/lunch keeps me from wanting to binge later. Blood sugar levels do matter.

5. Even small successes should be celebrated. I'm down a couple pounds because my snacking is more limited and I'm making smarted choices. I view this as an accomplishment and am happy to share it with you.

What are your successes? Let's move forward toward better health together in 2013!
Unread February 4th, 2013, 06:07 AM
Simpler is better!

Ginger ~ I have given up all diet sodas and flavored coffee creamers due to the aspartame in them. I recently discovered that there is a link between aspartame and vertigo which I've been struggling with for 5 yrs. Not to mention, it creates fatigue, vision problems, and many more things that I also have been deaing with.

I'm already feeling better! Now if I can get my workouts back into a consistant routine. What a mess I've made of my video collection. Having such a limited income, I've traded for WOs that I now regret having. (When will I learn). 2013 needs to be the year of smart choices in diet and exercise.
Unread February 5th, 2013, 11:19 AM

I'm glad you were able to stop the sodas and artificial sweeteners! I didn't know that aspartame was linked to vertigo. I hope you are feeling better now.
Unread February 5th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Simpler is better!

I am slowly but surely starting to feel better. I'm starting to regain energy and feel like the "fog brain" is clearing up. Thank you.
Unread February 8th, 2013, 07:46 AM

You are most welcome and I am happy you are seeing improvements!