Fitness Favorites Forums  

Go Back   Fitness Favorites Forums > EXERCISE > Workout Reviews & Rotations

Unread March 18th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Administrator & time optimist

Default Reviews for KickButt Strong Bear

Please place your reviews for KickButt Strong Bear here.

Last edited by annavere; October 18th, 2005 at 05:48 AM.
Unread March 20th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Survivor Pool? Are you kidding? I'm IN!

Default Re: Reviews for KickButt Strong Bear

Great workout. Mark's set is more beautiful than ever!

The music and workout are essentially the same as the original Strong Bear. However, some of the exercises might have been sequenced differently. I am not sure as I didn't have time to watch all of the old one.

One difference is the addition of calf pumps and jumps while holding the stick in front of you. It was fun!
Another change was the subtraction of the v-split for inner thighs while on your back.
Also, Kelli and the background people did not use ankle weights. Although, Kelli said that if you want to increase intensity to add ankle weights.

In sum, the workout is as great as ever with a much, much better set and sound. Really a quality production. BBH are back! I still can't believe it.
Unread March 22nd, 2005, 07:32 AM
donnadonna

Thumbs up Re: Reviews for KickButt Strong Bear

Strong Bear is/was one of my favorite FitPrimes and KickButt is very similar to the original except it looks better and sounds better. They've cleaned up some of the editing (the bicep curls are the same for both arms now, the hip extensions while leaning on the tall box are the same for both legs), speeded (sped?) up the leg presses slightly, and substituted good old fashioned crunch variations for the ab work at the end. Other than moving around a few of the exercises and making ankle weights optional, it's basically the same.

But is it blasphemy to say that I like Kelli Roberts much better than Tracie Long? She has an awesome body and accent and moves differently (and, in my opinion, much better) than Tracie. Very inspiring. She also gives invaluable form pointers that I would never pick up if not told (i.e. pressing down with certain of your knuckles while doing pushups on the tall box). And, best of all, in several parts, she seems a bit out of breath (it's nice to know that I'm not the only one!).

In short, I love FP Strong Bear; I LOVE KB Strong Bear!
Unread March 22nd, 2005, 08:39 AM
I want to go back to the islands...................

I just finished this workout and I wanted to give you my initial impressions.

I previewed this workout last night, and my impression then was that Tracie did a better job than Keli, but it was great having a workout without the editing glitches.

I was wrong. Keli did a fantastic job leading this workout, and gulp, I think she did a better job than Tracie. This workout flowed so well that at times it felt like you are not working hard, yet you are. This will probably be the toughest workout in this series. It is tough!

My poundage ranged from 5lbs. for the shoulder raises to 15 lbs. for the lat rows into the biceps curls. I used 10 lbs. for the compound moves and ten lbs. for the lunges and tall box climbs. I used my 12" box for the tall box climbs.
Unread March 23rd, 2005, 01:42 PM
Working Out

I just watched the original and the new one side by side. Like others of the new workouts, the beginning stretch has been moved to right before floor work. A great improvement IMHO. Most everything else is the same, with some minor tweeks as mentioned above.

It is one tough workout, but not so hard there is a dread factor.
Unread March 23rd, 2005, 02:48 PM
Simpler is better!

I haven't had a chance to do SB yet, but have done Lean with Kelli and must say I'm impressed. She's a natural and I hope Anna uses her again. I am more comfortable with her presence over Tracie, but can't say why, specifically. All I know is that I'm motivated and that's all that matters right now.
Unread March 24th, 2005, 02:05 PM

Here's my review:

Kickbutt Strong Bear

Keli Roberts

Equipment:
  1. 14" step-recommended, but I also use my 12" Firm box
  2. Light dumbbells
  3. Heavy dumbbells
  4. optional ankle weights
Proportion of disciplines:
  • Pilates: 10 minutes
  • Cardio: 8 minutes
  • Yoga: 4 minutes
  • Weights: 30 minutes
  • Total: 52 minutes
This workout is a remake of the original FitPrime Strong Bear. The most noticeable differences are the beautiful production, glitch free editing, and a workout that seems to flow really well. Keli does an excellent job leading this workout. Her form and form pointers are both excellent. One of the background exercisers always use items that you can find in your home.

The WHFN workouts continue the FitPrime tradition of working your non-dominant side first. After the warm-up, and first cardio section, Step Stomps, the first weight circuit consist of, 4-limb hard squats,plie
Unread March 25th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Dark chocolate IS good for you!

I did this one yesterday. The resequencing from the original made a very intense workout for me. I like the changes. Today I have DOMS all the way down my backside, from my shoulders to my calves. Well done.
Unread March 27th, 2005, 02:57 AM
I think we are all sick in a good way ;)

I am again surprised that upper body strength sections were taken out of the workout. It doesn't feel as balance as the original to me. But beautiful production.

I am sorry - I meant the upper body comments for crunch time! The missing elements in Strong Bear are the ankle weights for the inner thigh work and leg raises, and the squats while doing over head press. The good news is the bicep reps match now!

Last edited by jeanniem; March 27th, 2005 at 12:07 PM.
Unread March 27th, 2005, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanniem
I am again surprised that upper body strength sections were taken out of the workout. It doesn't feel as balance as the original to me. But beautiful production.
You've really piqued my interest. I'm going to watch these two workouts side by side and see what upper body exercises were taken out.