Fitness Favorites Forums  

Go Back   Fitness Favorites Forums > EXERCISE > Workout Reviews & Rotations

Unread March 29th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Happy with ME.

Default Re: FitPrime Lean Reviews

Before I ordered these workouts I was wondering if they would be tough enough. After I did my first w/o, which was Lean, I thought it was too easy. Since then, my 'sore' hip muscles that I've dealt with for years, have turned into very 'painful' muscles. If I would have been doing some of these very good, but less jarring workouts for all these years, maybe I wouldn't be in the situation I'm in today. There are ways to get results without the very intense workouts we are use to doing. I think Anna is trying to prove that. I am greatful for these workouts because I CAN change the intensity if I see fit.
Unread March 29th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Bubble **** in Progress

Just adding my 2 cents... I used to take Kelsie's live kickboxing class twice a week -- it was so tough. But by the time we got started and then cooled down..went to get mats and laid down to do the floorwork... her class lasted approx. 45 to 50 minutes.

It was tough and effective. Everywhere I look there are conflicting reports regarding exercise. There are professionals that say 20 minutes a day is enough..there are others who encourage rest days and others who say do "something" everyday. Jenn is right. You have to find what works for you.
Unread March 29th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Getting Started

The studies I referred to have been in all the papers because they surprised so many people. Can't tell you who did them, but I saw them in the Washington Post Health Section a couple of weeks ago. Hey, I'm skeptical, too. But at 53+ I think I am battling a case of hormones that is making fat cling to me like toilet paper to a heel. Nonetheless, when I was doing that hour class I was 100 lbs. and size 2 versus the 135 and size 10 I am now (I would like to take this moment to tip my hat to the other vertically challenged ladies on this board - I'm 5' tall).
Unread March 29th, 2005, 12:48 PM
My glasses are a bit to pricey to risk getting them broken.

I did see the article in the Post, but I couldn't find the study results (I don't think the article mentioned whether the results had been published or presented at a meeting), so I don't know enough about the controls, confounding variables, etc. to assess the results. What I do know, though, is that more than how much a person exercises factors into the outcome. Case in point: I'm 57, and I don't spend nearly as much time working out as I used to, and my weight hasn't varied in years. In fact, I actually weigh a few pounds less than I did in my 20s and 30s. Genetics? To some extent. Long-term consistency? Also to some extent. And who knows what else?

But back to Lean--I just finished this workout, and I loved it. I think its intensity is very deceptive, because most of the moves are slower than one usually associates with intense workouts. But the whole workout is so well paced--as seems to be the case with all the KBs and FBs, there's no wasted time, and there's no wasted movement. Keli's cuing and reminders were superb--how DID she see me every time I stopped thinking about posture and alignment?

The other thing I'm noticing every time I do one of these workouts for the first time is how much they build on each other. No single workout is really meant to fatigue the muscles--otherwise it would be difficult to crosstrain with them and do them in rotations without overtraining. I love this way of working out and training my body to be stronger and more functionally fit. I think of it as fitness for life.
Unread March 29th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Getting Started

OK, I have to say that I loved Lean. I love Keli Roberts. It just wasn't long enough but I did break a decent sweat with this workout. I liked the pace, the intensity, the music, it was all very well done. I felt like I worked my muscles. Maybe they should put this one on the rotation first so folks trying out the FitPrime workouts can get a taste of what it's like. Granted, it wasn't a burner like some of the earlier FIRMs or even some of the later FIRMs, but it's a keeper. See? I can say nice things, too.
Unread March 29th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Bernie, I'm glad to hear that, overall, you liked it!

"Fitness is a journey, not a destination."
Unread March 29th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Just Signed Up

I just finished this one tonight, and so far of the ones I've tried (MB, LBB, L) it is hands down my favorite!! First off, let me say that I do not like true cardio workouts, so much so that my hubby recently bought me an elliptical trainer so that I could get some cardio in. Normally I feel like cardio is too fast-paced and uses such complicated footwork that it really doesn't equal fun for me.

But this workout is so incredibly FUN, from the warmup (love the big movements with the hands) all the way to the towel stretch. I've been feeling like I need to pop my back this week and the stretch took care of that feeling WITHOUT popping my back! I could use just an entirely towel-stretch video.

The triceps kickbacks on the tall step were tough, as were the leg press/dips and the last cardio segment. I had to take a break halfway through the last cardio segment (dang, I thought I was in better shape than that...). The cardio was simple choreography-wise but still very fun. I liked the weights and squats segments as well... not too much for a cardio workout but enough to make me feel "worked out".

Keli is FABULOUS in this workout... her cueing is perfect and her demeanor is very warm and soothing yet down-to-business. Tamela was demonstrating the same moves as Keli but with a flowier, dancier feel, whereas Keli was more athletic. I really like seeing both variations in the workout. The music was GREAT in this workout, very energetic and kind of edgy. I give Lean an A+!
Unread March 30th, 2005, 02:53 AM
Bubble **** in Progress

Bernie:

You were not being mean--just honest I like hearing different opinions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie2
OK, I have to say that I loved Lean. I love Keli Roberts. It just wasn't long enough but I did break a decent sweat with this workout. I liked the pace, the intensity, the music, it was all very well done. I felt like I worked my muscles. Maybe they should put this one on the rotation first so folks trying out the FitPrime workouts can get a taste of what it's like. Granted, it wasn't a burner like some of the earlier FIRMs or even some of the later FIRMs, but it's a keeper. See? I can say nice things, too.
Unread March 30th, 2005, 04:38 AM
Getting Started

Yes, Jen, you could say that . Stacy, I'm glad you gave this one such good marks. Personally Tamela or whatever her name is really irritated me. I can't stand that "I'm such a girly girl" workout style, but that's just me. I thought Keli did a great job and I just love that accent. Like you I also like to have a lot of cardio so what I've decided to do is add some time on the Nordic Track after the workout. Another thing I liked, usually after a long hard cardio workout I'm starving. This didn't make me so hungry. It may have actually suppressed my appetite a bit.
Unread March 30th, 2005, 04:56 AM
Just Signed Up

lol, I like to think I look more like Keli when I work out... Tamela's style IS too girly-girl for me, but I think it's good to show that you can personalize it for whatever your "style" is.

I do love my elliptical... eventually once I determine my favorite DVDs I'll probably set up a rotation that includes both these DVDs AND elliptical training so that I don't waste all the $$$ we spent on it. Or I might just start warming up on it for about 15 minutes before each workout.