Fitness Favorites Forums  

Go Back   Fitness Favorites Forums > HEALTH, FITNESS and WELLNESS > General Health

Unread April 15th, 2005, 04:20 AM
Getting Started

Default Q: foods that are high in iron but low in cholestral?

My mother is very anemic yet her blood pressure and cholestral are a bit high. I couldn't tell you how since she is almost a vegetarian but I suppose her age has something to do with it.

Can anyone tell me what would be high in iron yet low in cholestral? She really doesn't like red meat and her digestion is bad so foods like clams are out.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks again ladies.

Last edited by bratty55; April 15th, 2005 at 04:21 AM. Reason: forgot a sentence
Unread April 15th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Dark chocolate IS good for you!

Default Re: Q: foods that are high in iron but low in cholestral?

I believe that spinach is high in iron. I don't have a lot of time to check on that, so someone correct me if I am wrong!
Unread April 15th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Getting Started

Default Re: Q: foods that are high in iron but low in cholestral?

I am vegetarian and for a couple of years until last year I was severely anemic. I had terrible side effects from it including my acid reflux being much worse than it is now. I had to take iron supplements (ferrous sulfate) twice a day for 4 months to get back to normal and continue to take iron supplements two or three times per week. I try to eat beans, green leafy veggies to get iron but my doctor recommended that I continue to take the supplements a couple of days per week and more during my period. I buy generic iron supplements at the drug store for about $4.00 for 100 tablets so it is very inexpensive.