Fitness Favorites Forums  

Go Back   Fitness Favorites Forums > HEALTH, FITNESS and WELLNESS > General Health

Unread June 8th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Getting Started

Question Anyone out there with Thyroid problems?

Hello all,

I was just wondering if any of you out there are having your Thyroid affect your weight loss? After every baby, I've had an enlarged Thyroid. The docs say that there is nothing really they can do. I have nursed all three of may daughters ( 9, 5, and 12mos. ). I'm still nursing my youngest. They are all healthy, and very bright. So it was worth it.

I've been facing the challenge of trying to lose the baby weight with my Thyroid acting up. It seems to act this way until my children reach the ages of 12-15 months. I'm also on the patch, and I'm losing some weight with it. It has never affected my thyroid.

Is there anyone else out there with Thyroid problems?
Unread June 8th, 2005, 03:44 PM
In Training

Default Re: Anyone out there with Thyroid problems?

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid a couple years ago. A test they use to determine whether you have thyroid disease is the TSH test.....a "normal" person's TSH should be around 1.0 - 2.0 or so.....between 3.0 - .3. Anyhow, mine was 151. I was VERY hypo. I had many symptoms....swelling, dry hair/nails, hair loss, feeling cold, no energy, inability to concentrate, depression, and of course....weight gain.

The good news is that even with thyroid problems.....now that I have my TSH into normal range....I probably don't have any more trouble than "normal" folks when it comes to losing weight. It's probably harder for me now just cause I'm older. BUT.....until I did get into a good range for me, it was murder trying to lose those pounds.

Geniqu4u, maybe talk to your doctor and see if he ran the TSH test....find out your numbers, don't just let the doc say you are "normal" as many labs still use older stats of almost 5.0 being the top number before they will treat for hypo. Hypothyroid is treated by a pill that replaces the hormone each day.

~~tracy
Unread June 9th, 2005, 06:43 AM
Dark chocolate IS good for you!

Just a thought: I don't have thyroid problems, but does nursing and all of those associated hormones affect your weight loss too?

I know everyone is different, but I think they do for me. I have a 14 month old, and the weight was just not moving until we weaned down to once a day. Same thing with my last baby. There are so many factors going into losing weight and it is so hard to understand how all of the pieces fit sometimes.

Otherwise, I agree with Tracy; make sure you have had a TSH test recently, and if not, see an endocrinologist!
Unread June 9th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Just Signed Up

Please get your thryroid tested, either by your doctor or an endocrinologist. Millions of women ( much fewer men) suffur from thyroid problems, and treatment is usually very simple. I cannot speak for how pregancy affects it. Several years ago, I was losing weight, having trouble sleeping, I was all keyed up, very hot. I loved the losing weight part, but a very smart, young NP tested my thyroid and found out I had Grave's disease, or an over-active thyroid. I asked my endocrinologist what would happen if I did nothing. His reply? "Your heart will wear out, and your bones will turn to dust" Oh. I took medicine to try to correct it, then came the weight gain, the fatigue, the depression. Eventually, I took iodine pills to reduce the size of my thyroid, basically I no longer have a functioning one. Like millions of women, I take a daily dose of Synthroid, which mimics the hormones in the thyroid. I have yearly check ups, to make sure the levels are OK. Your thyroid is extremely important to your bodily functions, such as appetite, elimination, energy level, skin and hair condition, mood. It is a super gland, and it must function well for you to be well.

I rarely reply to questions, I confess I am mostly a lurker. But this is very important, and very easy to find out about , a simple blood test. Good luck.
Unread June 10th, 2005, 04:21 AM
Just Signed Up

You really need to get a second, and even third opinion. I was mis and under diagnosed with Thyroid problems several years ago. I was losing my hair, depressed, had terribly heavy periods and was anemic, exhausted all the time, constipated, had dry skin and could not lose weight. Three different doctors told me that they could not do anything and that my levels were bordeline/fine. I finally found a wonderful endocronologist who literally saved my life. He found out easily that I had Hasiomoto's Thyroiditis (s) which is considered an auto immune disorder where the immune system attacks your thyroid basically. I had several cysts on my thyroid and it was enlarged. I have been taking medication ever since and slowly but surely things got better for me until the point where I felt like a normal person. Everything shrank, the cysts and my thyroid over the course of a year or so. It takes time to get the dose right and you have to monitor your symptoms closely to get the right dose, but it is worth it in the end. Now I see him once a year. It is imperative that if you have thyroid problems you see a doctor regularly because you have an increased risk of osteoporosis that needs to be monitored reguarly. My doctor recommends weight and strength training to prevent this, another reason for these wonderful workouts! I can't stress enough the importance of pushing and pushing until you find a doctor who will listen to you. I thought my life was hopeless until I found my wonderful doctor. Don't believe the first one or even the third one you see. There is help out there. Thyroid problems often times go undiagnosed, so get help if you need it!
Unread June 10th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Getting Started

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid about a year after having my #2 baby. I guess it's really common for women to develop thyroid conditions post partum. There's lots you can do--go to the MD and take the synthroid, go to an endocrinologist, or see a naturalpathic dr. I tried all three, and after a lot of reading and consulting believe thyroid problems are a sympton of other problems--particularly Hashimoto's hypothyroidism, since you actually have elevated antibodies attacking your thyroid. Think immune problems or allergies. I react to gluten and sugar. There's lots of reading and such-just don't let it go untreated.

Lori-I have a horrible time losing weight when nursing. It's like my body hangs onto some reserve or something while I am feeding another. When I finish up, it comes off pretty quick, though. Frustrating while you're nursing, though.
Unread June 10th, 2005, 07:37 AM
We're all stronger!

I've had hypothyroidism for about 5 years now. It was confirmed by a blood test after I mentioned a few symptoms (which I don't even recall now). I see my doctor regularly as well as a nutritionist. I take Levoxyl (i.e. Synthyroid) and pay attention to symptoms which can occur when my thyroid function is out of whack. I bought a book called "The Thyroid Solution", written by an endocrinologist, Dr. Arim _______ (I can't remember his last name, sorry) which I need to crack open. I've heard great things about the book. Just an FYI.

Please get your thyroid problem confirmed or ruled out. The thyroid is not something you want to ignore!
Unread June 10th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Getting Started

Hi ladies,

Thank you so much for your advice. I'm going to schedule an appointment on Monday. Nursing keeps the weight on, but it usually starts coming off by the time my babies are about 13 mos. by itself ( the longest I've nursed has been 18mos. ).

I have had low levels for a while, but the docs just won't give me the meds. The military has the worst HMO system ( Tricare ) out there. To get referrals from docs just to go to different parts of the hospital is like pulling teeth. I'll just have to get my hubby to go through his command to fight for me to see the right docs.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Please keep the information coming.

Genia
Unread June 11th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Whatever happens...happens. :)

I am another one who had serious thyroid disease. Mine was overactive and caused many symptoms. I was so suprised when I found out that I was on the verge of a heart attack. I just thought I was going thru a bad menopause. It took a long time to to get under control but after 2 radioactive iodine cocktails within a year things started looking up. Now, I have to take Levoxyl (a thyroid hormone) since my thyroid no longer works well. I found a terrific endocrinologist who really saved my life. I am still monitored yearly and sometimes an adjustment has to be made. It is an ongoing thing. Most people don't understand how much the thyroid affects every part of your body systems. Either low or high, it can wreck havoc on a person.