Fitness Favorites Forums  

Go Back   Fitness Favorites Forums > HEALTH, FITNESS and WELLNESS > General Health

Unread March 2nd, 2005, 05:20 PM
Oh well--PATIENCE!!

Default Re: Overweight Underhealthy Need Help!

Boy you are really hard on yourself. Good eating and exercising go hand in hand. You can't have one without the other. Maybe there are some nutrition books that you can get from the library that can help you with your eating. Do you like WW. If you do and it has been successful for you, it may just be worth it to you to spend the money. Maybe you can buy some of the FitPrime tapes or use what you have.
Unread March 3rd, 2005, 12:30 AM
Rebounder Extraordinaire!

Yes, try to eat foods in their natural state...not processed.....fruits, veggies, good fats, etc., as Kathy said.

Go to the health food store and try the Ezekial bread and tortillas, if you like breads. They are made from live grains. You have to keep it in your refrigerator. Try flaxseed oil/lemon on your salads, instead of processed dressings. You may not like these things at first, but I have acquired a taste for them. If you stick around here you will learn lots of good hints. I read the Fat Flush Plan book and got several ideas from that. I didn't go on the diet, but it helped me clean up my diet. I think if you just try to eat healthy and exercise the rest will follow...make it a lifestyle.
Unread March 3rd, 2005, 04:08 AM
My Booty is Hurtin!

It is really amazing the difference using things like fresh lemon can make isn't it Vanessa? I added some to a dish last night along with some rosemary and it had a great flavor.
Unread March 3rd, 2005, 04:52 AM
Working Out

Sarah, you are by no means pathetic!! Yet, I do understand that feeling. It is a challenge to get healthy, yet one that has rewards beyond measurement!!! This forum is a great place to share your feelings, successes, failures. Were all here for each other and of course ourselves. I will never judge you, and I'm sure alot of these women will say the same thing. It's great to check in and read what others have to say, because it's inspiring! Getting some type of food and exercise plan down will help you make the right choices. It's like a road, and it's better to stay on the road than to veer off onto detours. And what plan that is, is up to you and only you. As you go along, you'll realize what works for you personally. Overwhelm is a scary place to be, so take a big deep breath, and do the next thing in front of you. Of course I say all this with compassion, not dictation. And you are not old!
Unread March 3rd, 2005, 05:42 AM
Just Signed Up

I agree that both are important. There are cheaper alternatives to attending WW meetings unless you need that external motivation. You don't sound that enthusiastic about it so it may not be for you. What about ediets.com? Another suggestion would be to make some lifestyle changes that will become habits for life, not a temporary diet.

I know this first-hand. I'm 33 y.o., stay-at-home-mom to four children ages 6,4,2, and newborn. I have 20 more pounds to lose to be at my ideal BMI of 125 at 5'1". I did this doing FIRM tapes 4-5 times a week and sensible eating. For me that meant eliminating soda and processed snack foods, eating only whole-grain carbs, and using salads and fruits as side-dishes, not another course.

I've made this easier on myself by not preparing separate meals for the family. They eat what I eat and have, therefore, benefitted also. I grocery shop with a list based on the menu I've put together ahead of time. You can get computer programs (Cook'n) to help with this or try something like "www.menumailer.net". I exercise at a time that is conveinent for all so there's a great probability it will get done without interruptions. That time for me is at 8pm as soon as the kids go to bed. For some, that time may be during afternoon naps, at sunrise or joining a gym with childcare.

My weight loss has been slow but consistent. Most importantly, I feel I've made great strides in changing my lifestyle. Exercise is a time I look forward to each evening. I have found my sleep at night to be much more restful and I'm ready to get up each morning rather than drag out of bed. I have tons of energy all day without the need for naps. I feel that I'm sitting and walking taller and getting stronger, leaner and more toned each day. I am 100% certain that 2005 is the year I will reach my goals.

Tricia
Unread March 3rd, 2005, 05:57 AM
Getting Started

You are right. The new firms are not like the old ones. I took a 3 year break from exercising after having a baby. I have been working out again for over a year now and I am so happy that I have my morning workouts back. It is my time!!! I am 42 (almost 43) 5'5". I went up to 142 pounds but with both old and new Firm workouts I am back to 124 pounds. I became more aware of what I am eating. I also read the 10,000 Step Diet book and incorporated those ideas into my day. I work in a manufacturing plant and walk laps around the inside (outside, weather permitting) on my break wearing a pedometer. Once home, I get my now 4 1/2 year son to run and play with me in the back yard before dinner. It adds up - find ways to keep moving.

I am so excited about these new dvds and I hope you will give them a try. I know I can't wait to get my hands on them and experience Anna's tried and true method to better health.
Unread March 4th, 2005, 12:36 AM
Rebounder Extraordinaire!

You are right about the external motivation, Tricia. Some people do need it, just to get that jump start and that is okay....just get started, Sarah, you won't regret it. My sister just went on WW and has lost about 16 lbs. ; my SIL lost about 40, but the last time I saw her she had gained it back.....I think it is a decision! It's always all about the choices you make...what to eat, whether to exercise, etc.....EVERYDAY CHOICES! A LIFE TIME OF THEM.....A LIFESTYLE. It's just one day at a time!

Kathy, it is amazing how much a lemon can jazz up the taste! I've also been using lime lately. I have read so much about the befefits of green tea....I'm been drinking green tea with a squeezed 1/2 lime in it, with a tsp. of honey....I know honey is a sugar, but I only do it once a day, if that often. It's good though!

Last edited by Vanessa; March 4th, 2005 at 12:48 AM.
Unread March 4th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Workout Partner

Hi, Sarah! Welcome to WHFN, and it's great to have you here!

First off, you are not "this old and this fat."

You are just a woman, who like many of us, has found her self in a less optimal fitness state than we'd like to be! It happens to all of us; fitness is a journey, not a destination, so sometimes we have those periods -- whether a few months or a few years -- where we get off the workout/healthy living train and then have to get back on. :0

I'd say, first off, get a journal. Write down your fitness goals. If WW wasn't motivating, don't spend your money on it. It works for some (it worked for me when I did it) but it doesn't work for others.

So get that journal, write down where you want to be a year from now, and work backwards to plan how to get to that goal. I.e., "week one, I'll exercise 3x a week, whatever strikes my fancy. The important thing is to move."

"Week two, I'll add in some weight training, and a video workout at least once a week, making sure I don't try to go 'all out' and sabotage my efforts."

"Week three, I'll examine my nutritional intake, figure out which foods fuel my body, and which ones are wasted calories."

"Week four, I'll begin to elimiate those nutritionally-void foods, a few at a time, and increase the level of my exercise, either by adding days or upping the intensity."

Something like that. The important thing to remember, again, is that fitness is a journey, not a destination. So, you Firmie, you, in no time, you'll be back to regular exercising, and a few months from now, you'll be itching to wake up and workout! Six months from know, you'll be thinking, "Dang -- these jeans were tight, and now they won't even stay up on my hips!"

I'd say be sure to keep track of your measurements, too, since beginning a weight program can sometimes cause an uptick in the scale, since muscle retains water for its rebuilding process when a person begins working out or gets back on a regular program of working out.

Regarding ways of eating, just do what works for you. If WW doesn't, try South Beach or just try eliminating foods you tend to indulge in, a little at a time, and chew Eclipse gum when you want them but know you aren't hungry. Don't deprive your body, though. If you need the accountability of a checkin, join our 2005 Checkin! It's a great group of women who are at varying fitness levels, with various "life" responsibilities, and the women in that check in do a great job of inspiring each other. We'd love to have you!

And you ain't crazy, girl. You just want to get back in shape.

Take care,
Harper

"Your commitments can develop you or destroy you, but either way, they define you." -- Rick Warren
Unread March 5th, 2005, 05:55 AM
Just Signed Up

Can I say MOTIVATED!!! You all have inspired me. I am trying to do things gradually. I am committed.

I like the idea of keeping a journal. I am starting that today.

First thing this morning I did my Leslie Sansone video--one of two videos I actually own because I bought them at a garage sale last summer. I had never even watched it before. But, I did two miles. It isn't exactly "Firmie" level yet, but I now know that I am on a journey and will get there again.

I am starting by writing down what I eat. Funny how that in itself keeps me from overeating. I don't want to write down something like "9 pm--Ate 12 cookies." So, just writing down what I eat is restraining.

You have all helped me to feel less "pathetic"! I'm definitely going to need support on this journey. I haven't decided about WW yet. But I have decided that I need to keep hanging around all of you.

Sarah
Unread March 5th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Survivor Pool? Are you kidding? I'm IN!

Sarah,
You are on your way. Eating healthy - exercising. You can do all kinds of great things!