Fitness Favorites Forums  

Go Back   Fitness Favorites Forums > HEALTH, FITNESS and WELLNESS > General Health

Unread March 13th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Workout Partner

Default Re: Preventing Back Surgery

Amy, how's it going now? Have you been able to do Pilates? I wonder if you could do the Lottes too?

"Your commitments can develop you or destroy you, but either way, they define you." -- Rick Warren
Unread March 13th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Just Signed Up

i had L5-S1 microdiscectomy summer of 2002 after undergoing chiropractic, pt, injections, traction, and more pain than i could stand anymore. the surgeon actually apologized to me afterwards saying he didn't see how much of the disc was actually out. anyway, about a year ago that old familiar groin type pain started up again and i thought oh no here we go again. i went to a different chiropractor who had a lumbar distraction machine with ultrasound. that thing was amazing! way better than traction. after a couple of treatments i was good as new. if you can find a place that has this, please give it a shot to see if it could suck that old disc back in place. it's certainly worth a try. good luck!
Unread March 14th, 2005, 12:57 AM
Living proof that the internet is a wonderful way to bump into a soul mate.

Send a message via MSN to AspenUSMC

Sorry it took me so long to see this. We weren't online much this weekend.

I have a consult on Thursday...so I should know more soon. For now, physical therapy has really done wonders. I have some abs again! *grin*

Starting this week, I'm cleared to begin doing some mild pilates work at home in addition to my therapy appointments. I'll let you know how it goes.

*fingers crossed*

~Martha Graham
Unread March 14th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Getting Started

Smile Re: Preventing Back Surgery

Aspen

Hi there! Such a loving picture!
I am a certified pilates and yoga instructor in S.C. My advice would be to search out a certified pilates instructor in your area. You will need a live instructor to keep an eye on your form! Look for an instructor with a therapuetic approach. I would see them atleast 2 times a week. But, be careful not to rush the healing and strengthening process. Yoga and Pilates go hand in hand with the healing and the strengthening inside/out. Keep in mind to be patient because everyone is different and you need to look at the whole picture. (Alignment etc.) Once you retrain your body you will have a mind- body connection. (Simply making you more aware of how you move your body every minute of everyday. )
Also remember that what we put into our bodies also affects the healing processes.

I love the Martha Graham quote
Tamela Hastie
Unread March 14th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Workout Partner

Crossing my fingers for you, Amy!

Tamela, great advice, as always -- thank you!

"Your commitments can develop you or destroy you, but either way, they define you." -- Rick Warren
Unread March 15th, 2005, 01:50 AM

Thanks, Everyone...and hi, Tamela! You and I have been working out together for years. You just didn't know. *wink*

My physical therapist's husband is a PE teacher, coach, and CERTIFIED Pilates Instructor!!! Yea for me!

He's a licensed therapist, but he went the education route later. Anyway, he is going to be helping his wife out a few days per week...and I get to see him for several sessions (and it's covered under INSURANCE, y'all) to get some proper form going.

I'm so happy.

------------
P.S. I have a title! I have a title! Harper...fess up. Did you do that for me? *grin*

~Martha Graham
Unread March 15th, 2005, 02:06 AM
Getting Started

That is super good news for you - LEARN LEARN LEARN!!

Have a great day!
Tamela
Unread March 16th, 2005, 11:05 PM

Well...I have a grrr today.

My MRI was taken at the Naval Hospital here on base. The place I have to go to consult with my neurosurgeon (the guy who'll do my disk-ectomy if I need one) is about 1.5 hours south of here on yet another military base.

The surgeon's office called to confirm my appointment yesterday. I waited 6 (count 'em 1,2,3,4,5,6) WEEKS to get this appointment after my PCP called the consult in. They told me that my job was to get copies of my records to take with me. I called and made sure I had everything they'd need and I drove down to the hospital first thing this morning.

Well.

I get my medical record just fine, but the MRI people got snotty with me saying, "We have to have 24 hours." I thought, "to make a copy? you're all sitting here and I'm the only person in the office. Why can't you copy it for me right now?"

That's what I thought. It's not what I said. *grin*

So...I had to cancel my surgery appointment and pray for a really quick reschedule because the MRI people couldn't get my MRI copy to me in time for my consult.

Here're my issues:

1.) WHY didn't they tell me 6 weeks ago that I'd need to take copies down there? I assumed they sent this info down with the request for consult. Heck! Tell me a week ago so I'd have time. Don't call me less than 48 hours before the appt. that I've waited over a month for and drop this info. on me without enough time to complete the request.

2.) How can three women with NO ONE else to work with at the time look me straight in the eye and tell me it'll take 24 hours to copy an MRI picture? It didn't take that long to get the original! I had the original in my hand less than 10 minutes after I came out of the tube!

3.) It's my back. It's pictures of MY spine and my poor little herniated L5-S1. Give me the FREAKING original so I can consult with my surgeon. C'mon! Practice medicine here, PEOPLE!

Thank you. I am now finished venting...and I feel cleansed.

--------------

Oh! And to Tamela, thanks for the compliment on the picture. I love it, too! It was taken by my cousin-in-law last October on the beach near our home.

Here's the whole picture. I'm so proud of it.

~Martha Graham

Last edited by AspenUSMC; March 16th, 2005 at 11:50 PM. Reason: gotta add a bit of a smiley
Unread March 17th, 2005, 01:52 AM
Just Signed Up

oh aspen, i am so sorry for what you were made to go through. i work as an independent medical transcriptionist and daily i am amazed at some of the ways some patients are treated. when i had my back problem, it got so bad i was hobbling around with a cane and in constant agony for SIX MONTHS. one of my clients is a pain clinic (!) and i had to BEG for an MRI to find out what was going on. i had that blind faith that SURELY they would take care of me and never let it get as bad as it did. all i can say is my eyes are PERMANENTLY OPEN now. i really hope you can find another facility that can take of this whole thing for you on an expedited basis. please keep us updated, and good luck.
Unread March 17th, 2005, 05:38 AM
I want to go back to the islands...................

Aspen, I love your family picture. Is your hubby stationed at Camp Pendleton? My dad was stationed there for most of his military career.

If you have surgery, will you be having it in San Diego?