Fitness Favorites Forums  

Go Back   Fitness Favorites Forums > HEALTH, FITNESS and WELLNESS > General Health

Unread March 17th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Just Signed Up

Default Re: Preventing Back Surgery

Aspen,

I'm sorry for what you're going through. My husband had a microdiscectomy 2.5 weeks ago at L4-5, and 4 years ago had a fusion at C6-7. So I understand what you're going through, a little - but I digress.

I'm absolutely APPALLED that you weren't given your MRI on the spot for your appointment. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think they make copies - at least they haven't in our experience. They're on film like an x-ray. We've always been given the original, and then had to return it after consults/surgeries/whatever. The fact that nobody could spare the time to pull your MRI is atrocious, in my book.

Something to think about though - my DH's most recent neurosurgeon has asked him to give up running and any high impact cardio, and to never again do standing lower body work with load. Now, granted, he has poor discs and has ruptured 2 before age 40, but if your MRI shows signs of degeneration, it is worth considering. Impact and load will definitely hasten any disc degeneration. My DH's neurosurgeon told him flat out he would most likely need a fusion at L4-5 down the road, but that he could prolong the period in between the microdiscectomy and the fusion by adhering to these rules. He is an avid runner and is so blue about giving up running - but I've bought him a bike and am getting him a membership to a local pool, when the time comes and he is ready again.

Best of luck to you with your recovery.
Unread March 17th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Getting Started

I'm sorry Aspen. I know what you're going through. When I needed to have my 3rd surgery (in a 2 year period), my insurance company required a six week wait to have an MRI even though I had already had the 2 surgeries and was experiencing the same symptoms (muscle weakness and numbness from the waist down to foot on left side along with extreme pain, making it impossible to move). I believe my being forced to wait, is why I have some of the problems I have today. My left leg will never be right again. I have done PT, injections, steroids ect. I'm now using a tens unit and I'm on oxycontin for the constant pain. You're not alone. If you ever need to vent, PM me. Take care of yourself Okay?
Unread March 18th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Getting Started

Aspen

Do rush - tread lightly. All things in good time.
Again such a beautiful picture - it says LOVE
Tamela
Unread March 20th, 2005, 12:43 PM
I think we are all sick in a good way ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspenUSMC
2.) How can three women with NO ONE else to work with at the time look me straight in the eye and tell me it'll take 24 hours to copy an MRI picture? It didn't take that long to get the original! I had the original in my hand less than 10 minutes after I came out of the tube!

3.) It's my back. It's pictures of MY spine and my poor little herniated L5-S1. Give me the FREAKING original so I can consult with my surgeon. C'mon! Practice medicine here, PEOPLE!

Thank you. I am now finished venting...and I feel cleansed.
Welcome to the wonderful world of military medicine. Civilians try to stonewall all the time. They get paid no matter what and a great number of them get some sort of kick out of jacking with your day. Sometimes, I can't wait to be a civilian again!