Fitness Favorites Forums  

Go Back   Fitness Favorites Forums > EXERCISE > Workout Reviews & Rotations

Unread March 18th, 2005, 06:20 AM
Administrator & time optimist

Default FitPrime Metaboost Reviews

Please post your reviews for FitPrime Metaboost here.

Last edited by annavere; October 18th, 2005 at 05:53 AM.
Unread March 18th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Just Signed Up

Default Re: FitPrime Metaboost Reviews

This is a solid intermediate-level total body workout. For those who are familiar with the original FitPrime series, I would classify the intensity of this workout as similar to FTGU or Crunch Time. Not as hard as Weights First (which in my opinion was the toughest FitPrime workout) but definitely not a beginner workout either. I definitely worked up a sweat and felt completely worked out by the end.

The production of this workout is outstanding. Beautiful picture and sound, colorful set and costumes, healthy looking cast members. I felt this workout combines the best of old Firm and Fitprime. For me, I always loved FitPrime's music and workouts and the Firm's production and set. From doing this workout and viewing the clips of the other WHFN workouts, it appears the WHFN workouts capture the best of those things. Best of all, I like the fact that WHFN incorporates yoga and pilates moves in addition to the standard cardio and weights. To me, it's the perfect combination.

Heide is great in this workout. She is comfortable and poised and her cueing is excellent.

I give this workout an A!
Unread March 20th, 2005, 03:24 AM
I think we are all sick in a good way ;)

This workout was a very pleasant surprise! The production, music and Heidi were all excellent! The cast and Heidi look strong and fit without the anorexic look that seems to dominate some other series. This is a solid intermediate workout that has room to grow. It will be easy to make this workout tougher if you want to. The pilates ab segment was challenging. The 4 limbed aerobics segments lasts long enough to get a good upper body workout (I used 8's and 5's). The variations on the one legged squats were a stroke of genius! The inner thigh segments are ala Strong Bear (not my favorite, so I modify!). Outer thigh follows with standing abductions (with or without added weight).
Pushups are done on the yoga block with enough reps to be tough! There are several sets of shoulder press, but only one set of heavy biceps.
I really enjoyed this workout - it's better than having the old Firm back!
Unread March 20th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Just Signed Up

I am new to Fitprime, I just discovered these workouts last November. I loved this workout and although it is not horribly tough, I worked up a sweat. Very consistent! Did everyone else's inner thigh scream during the 3rd section (after the clams)? Heidi was wonderful and time flew by! Thanks.
Unread March 22nd, 2005, 03:05 AM
Simpler is better!

I did this one this morning. Let me start by saying that I've been a "low advanced" exerciser for probably 3 years running, ......up until about 6 months ago. Then I became a slug for a variety of reasons. So, I was very happy to feel worked and my butt and thighs WILL have DOMS tomorrow. Truly a solid intermediate workout, though I can see myself loosing the dowel once I gain back what I've lost over the last 6 months. So, many ways to up the intensity and retain a great workout, no matter what level you are.

I'd like to be able to plan my workout for tomorrow, but I think I need to wait and see which body parts are sorest before deciding.

Thank you BBH/WHFN for producing such incrediable workouts.
Unread March 22nd, 2005, 12:50 PM
Do I want to be fit or kick ****?

I just did this one this morning, and like everyone else has said, the picture and sound quality are simply amazing! All the details about how the w/o looks is perfect. I love the opening credits, even the way the menu is presented.

As for the w/o itself, it is an excellent intermediate w/o. I broke out into a sweat, but not as much as when I did Weights First on Saturday (thank goodness). The moves and music are great!! Heidi is fantastic as the lead and I love the class exercisers!! Anyway, back to the w/o - it reminded me a lot of Maximum Body Shaping w/ Tracie (but I don't know why). It was really easy to follow, and even though I don't have a yoga block (yet), I used my little squishy medicine ball instead. Lots of lower & upper body work with some fun 4-limb cardio stuff thrown in.

The only move I may have to modify for myself are those funky plie squats on the tall box - it may b/c I have short legs, I don't know.

But anyway, I really enjoyed this w/o - anyone who has been pining away for the old Firms, well - stop pining, because THEY ARE BACK!!
Unread March 23rd, 2005, 04:12 AM
Getting Started

Love it!!! Love it!! I love the workout. I think Heidi is an excellent instructor. I always knew what to do next even though I previewed the dvd only once before. I love the music. I love the fact that women in the room had great, normal body shapes. No ultra thin people. The set looks stunning. Can't wait to do the other workouts in the FitPrime and KickButt series.
Unread March 23rd, 2005, 09:25 AM
Just Signed Up

Carol -

I just want to say, thanks for your write up on this workout! I love, love, love how you included modifications to "up the intensity." I have been reading about how one could do this, but now I have a good idea of how to do it.

It was a very nice review! Keep them coming!
Unread March 23rd, 2005, 11:37 AM
Makes me feel good to see this body do things my daughter can't. I couldn't have done it without my FitPrime/FIRM/WHFN workouts.

How about those clams with the yoga block between your knees (no touching you toes down!) Whew! Loved the whole workout.

Heidi does a super job. She seems to truly enjoy the workout.
Unread March 25th, 2005, 01:54 AM
Just Signed Up

Ok, here is my somewhat rambling review of Metaboost. This workout is a good combo of total body weight work with a few 4 limb cardio bursts (for those unfamiliar with Firm jargon, 4 limb cardio is essentially cardio with light weights, like 3 or 5 lb bells, using both legs and arms at once to get the heart rate up there...almost always low impact). It also has Pilates-type core work and some yoga stretches at the end.

I'm not one to give reviews with a play by play of the whole workout...others have already done that I think. Basically, after a brisk warmup where you do "swimming" motions with your arms with different leg work patterns, you go down for Pilates-inspired corework. Lots of the moves use a yoga block, between your legs, etc. to really engage the core. I don't have a yoga block (one of the few pieces of exercise equipment I don't have LOL), so i subbed my small medicine ball...they also had someone on the screen using a sofa pillow.

After core work on the floor, they alternate 4 limb cardio bursts with the weight work. The cardio bursts were definitely enough to get my HR up a bit, but I didn't feel like I was really huffing and puffing...so a nice training range. They were fun and easy to follow. Heidi just looks like she is truly having such a good time doing them. Not forced smiles like some of the Firm girls do. I used 5 lb weights for these and it worked well. The weight work seemed to hit all the major body areas, with particular emphasis on the lower body. You don't really do much weight work by itself without doing other things to engage your core, etc. which is what makes it so cool and really works you, i think. For instance, you might balance on one leg to do biceps, or do squats changing your leg positions such as with one leg crossed in front, one crossed in back, etc. I had a lot of fun and time seemed to fly by. I didn't feel as if i were dying, but I got really really sweaty, which is usually a pretty good indicator that i'm working hard. I don't have any DOMS so far today, but I rarely get DOMS anymore (which might be a bad thing, i guess). I used weights similar to what i normally used (such as 10s for bicep and shoulders, 15 for lats, 12 for leg press, etc.).

Like others have said, the production quality is just awesome. To me it was a huge contrast to the older FIt Primes where the production quality was quite lacking. The cast shows a people of various ages and body types, which i think will be encouraging to some. And like i said, Heidi was just great.

Great job, Anna!!!!